Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chewy Molasses Cookies with Crunchy Lemon Glaze
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:30 pm 

I made these last night and they are deeelicious. My notes: I used a standard hand mixer and that worked just fine. I baked half the recipe, freezing the other 2 portions for another time. I also didn't bake 2 sheets at once, I did one at a time, but mainly because I wanted to taste them first. Wasn't too crazy about this lemon glaze so next time I'm going to revert to a glaze I've used many times. I added a bit of lemon and vanilla extracts to the glaze to try to improve it. Still very, very tasty.

Edited to add a link to the source: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-chewy-m ... ies-130827

Chewy Molasses Cookies with Crunchy Lemon Glaze
Adapted from More-With-Less. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

For the molasses cookies:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, very soft
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dark molasses
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
2-inch knob of fresh ginger, finely grated or juiced
-------------------------------------------------
2 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Granulated sugar, for rolling
--------------------------------------------------
Lemon Glaze:
2 lemons, juiced (about 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350°F. Line two large, heavy baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the butter with the olive oil, molasses, and brown sugar. When it is fluffy and lightened, add the egg and whip until smooth. Whip in the grated ginger and its juice.

Add the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, powdered ginger, and black pepper to the butter mix. Stir with the paddle until thoroughly combined. The dough will be quite soft. Put the dough in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour, or up to 3 days. (This dough can also be wrapped and frozen. Thaw completely in the refrigerator before proceeding with the recipe.)

Pour about 1/2 cup of granulated sugar into a shallow bowl. When the dough is stiff enough to handle, separate it roughly into four parts. Divide the first part into 12 walnut-sized chunks, and roll each into a ball. Roll the ball lightly in the sugar, then place on the baking sheet. Repeat for the others, and the second quarter of the dough.

Bake the first two sheets of cookies for 12 minutes, swapping each baking sheet from the upper to lower rack (and vice versa) at the 6-minute mark. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes, then remove the cookies with a spatula to cooling racks.

Repeat with remaining dough. While the remainder of the cookies cool, make the glaze. Dribble the glaze over the cookies in a thin swirl, using a fork, or paint it on with a pastry brush. Let the glaze dry and cool on the cookies until hard. Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to a week.

Whisk the lemon juice together with the granulated and powdered sugars. Use immediately.

Post subject: Re: Chewy Molasses Cookies with Crunchy Lemon Glaze
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:11 pm 

Those look great! It is similar to an old recipe that I had that used shortening. However, I refuse to use that anymore and butter just doesn't work as well - but adding some olive oil sounds like just the ticket! I will have to try these forthwith.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:13 pm 

Thanks so much for posting this, Nance. I already have some fresh ginger in the fridge so am going to make them tomorrow for the college kids I cook for. Quick question -- can you share the glaze recipe you like? I'm looking for one that at least dries hard enough for me to be able to nestle the cookies upright in a couple of foil pans without them sticking to each other. I have a KAF one I've used before but my recollection is that it takes a long time to set.

Thanks!

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:40 pm 

Emilie,
The glaze I like is a cream cheese glaze so it doesn't harden well. The one with this recipe did firm up nicely so you might want to try it - could be my lemons were too bitter. My go to Glaze is: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 4 oz softened cream cheese, 1/2 tsp vanilla or lemon extract, and 2 tbsp citrus juice (I use either orange or lemon depending on recipe).

I hope you like them as much as we do. My husband just had 3 more tonight and he's officially addicted. That's really something considering he doesn't like cookies. TG I have the other half of the dough in the freezer ;)

Nance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:29 pm 

Reminds me of one of my favorite David Lebovitz cupcake recipes... Love that combo!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:53 pm 

Becca,
The Kitchn poster swapped out the original glaze for David Leibovitz's. Very astute!
Nancy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:20 pm 

Yum! Must try