Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lemon Bars
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:52 am 

There is no need to make any ingredient adjustments when doubling baking recipes. Percentages of each ingredient to the whole remains constant regardless of the total size of the recipe.

Pan sizes, baking times, and baking temperatures may need some careful consideration and adjustment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:33 pm 

To build on what Jim said about pan sizes - leavening *may* need to be adjusted if you are increasing or decreasing pan sizes while changing the size of the batch. For example, a cake that is baked as cupcakes rather than cake rounds probably needs a slight boost in the leavening, because the cake bakes quicker and therefore the leavening doesn't have as much time to work. Conversely, if doubling a cake and using a larger pan, the leavening may need to be decreased. However, I don't think it would matter with these lemon bars; it mostly applies to cakes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:30 pm 

That would explain my flat mini cupcakes made with CI's sour cream bundt cake recipe. I don't care though. I just make dairy queen swirls of fudge frosting on those flat tops! Mmmmmm. (can you tell it's getting close to dinner....just waiting for one last early evening client and then I get to go home for the day!).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:57 am 

I made the Lemon Bars yesterday at the Assisted Living. I doubled the recipe and baked them in hotel pans lined with parchment. The eggs Susan had looked a little small so I added 1 extra egg to the filling. It took me about 15 minutes to juice and zest the 6 lemons, but using real Lemon Juice is the only way to make these. They were excellent. I didn't stay for the dinner service to see how well they were liked. I will find out tonight when I talk to Susan.