Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scrambled Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 am 

I stumbled on something a week or so back when making scrambled eggs. I usually put a little salt in the eggs before scrambling. I did that, but instead of the usual step of adding a bit of water I added a little buttermilk. It REALLY made a big difference in the taste, they were quite savory! I cook them in a non stick skillet with butter. You might give this a try. Mmmm

Post subject: Re: Scrambled Eggs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40 am 

Yup, I do something similar. I incorporate sour cream while beating the eggs. And don't add salt until almost done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 am 

Creme Fraiche or Double Cream!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:58 pm 

Adding sour cream, buttermilk, etc. is an old catering/buffet trick...keeps the eggs from discoloring, but also adds a nice bit of flavor.

May I also suggest Jean-Georges method for cooking...only eggs, S&P and butter. Stir constantly and gently (always stirring in the same direction-my addition...keeps the protein strands from breaking) over low heat. It takes a looooong time, but the eggs come out so creamy, you wouldn't believe it.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:15 am 
Site Admin

Since I'm usually using more whites than yolks for health reasons, I only add salt at the table.

If you add salt to egg whites you're cooking, guaranteed weeping.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:09 am 

I'm not familiar with Jean-Georges method, but a quick browse showed simply cooking over low heat with butter added while cooking, not before. Is that basically it? Or is there a better reference for the method?

My personal preference is a very provincial or "rustic" scramble guy, in the sense that they are not whisked, but broken into the pan and allowed to cook some before breaking the yolk. This gives very separate egg whites and yolks, but mixed as they cook. Probably this was what I was served as a kid.

When I cook scramble for my wife, who doesn't care for egg whites, I use a more refined approach, though nothing approaching J-G's method, I'm sure. The eggs, a teaspoon of milk for each egg, and a tiny bit, maybe 1/8th teaspoon of cream of tartar per egg, simply for eye appeal. I whisk two minutes, cook with either butter or bacon grease on medium low heat, pushing the egg as it cooks toward the center and rolling the pan a bit to move uncooked egg to the side.

The buttermilk addition sounds very tasty to me. Maybe I will get to try it, but I am not sure. My buttermilk starter is 24 hours into being activated and not much sign of activity. If it takes off tomorrow, then I will give it a try in my eggs. If not, I'll be a few more months before I can get more in.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:30 am 

Tatoosh,

The solid butter (about 1 1/2 tablespoons for 5 eggs) is added with the eggs, and it's really as simple as it sounds. Just keep slowly stirring, and after about 10 minutes it will start to come together. I know this seems like a long time, but trust me, the end result is worth it. If the eggs start to stick at any time, remove the pan from the heat for a few seconds to cool it down. Low heat is key.

Amy

P.S. The addition of sour cream when used in catering is after the eggs are cooked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:42 am 

So...why did I have to find all this out by accident? You people holding out on me or what? :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:58 am 

I add sour cream after they are cooked to help halt cooking (cool them down) and to add flavour. I also add salt at the end to stop weeping, and do the slow-and low method, though not as slow as Amy; when done really slow you end up with almost zero curds, which is interesting (and great for something like putting over toast with a topping of something else) but I find a little *too* creamy for just straight up. Mind you, I certainly wouldn't turn them down! Things like scrambled eggs are tricky, because "good" doesn't always meet "expectations"; even the ones I make some people might really like, but they wouldn't consider them 'scrambled', and if they were expecting (or in the mood for) scrambled eggs, it might not hit the mark.

I do prefer the more creamy + sour cream method myself though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:58 am 

We like to make you work for things Frank...

Off to make some scrambled eggs!

Amy