Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waffles recipe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:37 am 

Hi everybody!
I am a new Cookaholic. I've being surfing around the board after I became a member yesterday, trying to learn how to participate, had to come up with courage to post.
Anyway, last night I prepared a yeasted waffle batter recipe from the cookbook "Lost Recipes from Marion Cunningham". I cooked the waffles this morning and they were very light and crisp and good flavor, but my husband and I were expecting something more from it :shock: . I think we wanted something with more substance (if that is possible).
Would any of you be willing to share a TT recipe for good waffles? Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Waffles recipe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:37 am 

Hey! Welcome to the board! I have a good recipe for ginger-bread waffles. Not sure how substantive they are. It's been years since I made them. I just remember they were very tasty with lemon curd on top. Sadly, my current waffle iron is so craptastic, I haven't bothered to make them again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:53 am 

I have not tried this recipe, but I plan to this summer, because I have a 5lb bag of KAF White Whole Wheat Flour in the freezer.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/PrintRecipe?RID=1873&radio=1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:46 pm 

Welcome to the one of the more looney sites re: cooking :D :!:

Following is one my favaorites from Cooks Illustrated (CI):
YEASTED WAFFLES
Seven 7-inch round or four 9-inch square waffles. Published March 1, 2004.
The batter must be made 12 to 24 hours in advance. We prefer the texture of the waffles made in a classic waffle iron, but a Belgian waffle iron will work, though it will make fewer waffles. The waffles are best served fresh from the iron but can be held in an oven until all of the batter is used. As you make the waffles, place them on a wire rack set above a baking sheet, cover them with a clean kitchen towel, and place the baking sheet in a 200-degree oven. When the final waffle is in the iron, remove the towel to allow the waffles to crisp for a few minutes. These waffles are quite rich; buttering them before eating is not compulsory and, to some, may even be superfluous.
INGREDIENTS

1 3/4 cups whole milk , or low-fat milk, or skim milk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 8 pieces ( 1/2 cup)
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (10 ounces)

1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon table salt

1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat milk and butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool milk/butter mixture until warm to touch. Meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl to combine. Gradually whisk warm milk/butter mixture into flour mixture; continue to whisk until batter is smooth. In small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla until combined, then add egg mixture to batter and whisk until incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 12 and up to 24 hours.
2. Following manufacturer’s instructions, heat waffle iron; remove waffle batter from refrigerator when waffle iron is hot (batter will be foamy and doubled in size). Whisk batter to recombine (batter will deflate). Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions (use about ½ cup for 7-inch round iron and about 1 cup for 9-inch square iron). Serve waffles immediately or hold in low temperature oven (see above note).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:49 pm 

Welcome Wallflour (love the pun, you already scored points with me). I made the smoked salmon waffles from Around My French Table recently so if you want something really different, they were excellent.

I like yeasted waffles as a dessert rather than a breakfast (layered with strawberries and ice cream... YUM!).

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:05 pm 

Wallflour,
Welcome to the board! I am with Wino on this one. Love this recipe, the whole family does; it's our go to recipe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:47 pm 

Welcome WallFlour (also love the name)!

No recipes here...I don't think I've ever made waffles, except for waffle cones, and that doesn't count. ;)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 am 

Thanks for the nice welcome, and for the recipes!
Marygott, I hadn't notice the recipe for the smoked salmon waffles in that cbook, interesting...
I am looking for something a little more "bready" maybe, I don't know if there is such a thing, but now I have a few more recipes to get there, for sure. :) (LOVE THE SMILIES!!!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:42 am 

another vote for the yeasted waffle, we find them pretty substantial. I quadruple the recipe and slightly undercook the ones we don't eat and freeze for toaster waffle mornings.
And another welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:18 am 

THIS JUST IN - see my new post re: Darcie's pancakes because that recipe makes a wonderful waffle!

Wallflour - this could be just the recipe you are looking for if "substantial" is what you are seeking!!

Served 5 people this morning and it was unanimous.