Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm 

"Baby Jaden" had a request for oatmeal cookies...no raisins...I made Joanne Chang's recipe from her book "Flour"...it was "eh"...nothing to brag about...the cookies were flat...the taste was good...I'm not a fan of flat cookies...I refrigerated the dough prior to baking...didn't seem to matter...does anyone have a good oatmeal cookie recipe that is soft, chewy and a little thick? Thanks so much!

Lu

Post subject: Re: Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:33 pm 

These look pretty thick to me - You might want to check them out. Omit the raisins, of course. I prefer dried cranberries and/or some coconut or just plain:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/02/thick ... n-cookies/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:56 pm 

Thank you Merstar! This recipe looks perfect! My son loves chocolate...I may just add a little...thanks again!

Lu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:50 am 

Lu1 wrote:
Thank you Merstar! This recipe looks perfect! My son loves chocolate...I may just add a little...thanks again!

Lu

You're very welcome, Lu. Chocolate is always a good idea! Let us know how they turn out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:42 pm 

Lu,
Here's another to check out from my to-try list. It's from CI. I've included a link that has some photos - They don't look as thick as the ones from Smitten Kitchen:

CHOCOLATE-CHUNK OATMEAL COOKIES WITH PECANS AND DRIED CHERRIES

We like these cookies made with pecans and dried sour cherries, but walnuts or skinned hazelnuts can be substituted for the pecans, and dried cranberries for the cherries. Quick oats used in place of the old-fashioned oats will yield a cookie with slightly less chewiness. If your baking sheets are smaller than the ones described in the recipe, bake the cookies in three batches instead of two. These cookies keep for 4 to 5 days stored in an airtight container or zipper-lock plastic bag, but they will lose their crisp exterior and become uniformly chewy after a day or so.

Makes sixteen 4-inch cookies

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 1/4 cups rolled oats , old-fashioned, (3 1/2 ounces)
1 cup toasted pecans (4 ounces), chopped
1 cup dried tart cherries (5 ounces), chopped coarse
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped into chunks about size of chocolate chips (about 3/4 cup)
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (10 1/2 ounces), preferably dark
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large (18 by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. In second medium bowl, stir together oats, pecans, cherries, and chocolate.

3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on low, gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix until just incorporated. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.

4. Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 cup, then roll between palms into balls about 2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using hands, gently press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness. Bake both baking sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will seem underdone and will appear raw, wet, and shiny in cracks), 8 to 10 minutes longer. Do not overbake.

5. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Loading Up the Flavor:
CHOCOLATE: Irregular, hand-chopped chunks are better than chips. Use bittersweet chocolate to reduce overall sweetness.
NUTS: Pecans are our top choice, followed by walnuts. Toast nuts in 350-degree oven to maximize their flavor.
DRIED FRUIT: Choose something tart, such as cherries or cranberries, and chop coarse.

Getting the Cookie Texture Right:
PROPERLY BAKED: When the cookies are set but still look wet between the fissures, take them out of the oven. Once cooled, the cookies will bend, not snap.
BAKED TOO LONG: Cookies that look matte (rather than shiny) have been overbaked. Once cooled, their texture will be crumbly and dry.

From America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated
http://www.crumblycookie.net/2011/04/03 ... nd-pecans/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:38 am 

Thanks so much merstar!

Lu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:41 pm 

Lu1 wrote:
Thanks so much merstar!

Lu

You're most welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:48 pm 

Yum, thick chewy oatmeal cookies are my favorite. I like all sorts of add-in's like chocolate chunks, raisins or cranberry's. Now I'm hungry!

Laurie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 pm 

I've been listening to Joanne Fluke books on my way back and forth from work, and in this latest one she gives a recipe for chocolate covered raisin oatmeal cookies. A ka-thump moment for me...why didn't I think of doing that?

Lu, I make one from Canadian Living's Cookbook that I really like. Comes with 5 different "add in" options and I tend to mix and match them, adding flax seed, wheat germ and using white whole wheat flour. Let me know if you want me to scan and email to you and another one for your repetoire along with Merstar's recipes. You can never have too many cookie recipes imho. ;-)

And the King Arthur Whole Grain Baking book has a Nutty for Oats cookie that is made with ground oats instead of flour and uses peanut butter and chocolate chips. My boys really like that one and a google will lead you to the recipe from a few bloggers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:36 am 

I would love a copy Jean!...thanks so much...one can never have too many recipes IMO...

Lu