Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Caesar dressing which emulsifies?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:13 am 

You can pasteurize eggs sous-vide while only somewhat reducing their emulsifying power... Baldwin(who says its properties are unaltered):
Quote:
Place egg in a 135°F (57°C) water bath for at least 1 hour and 15 minutes (Schuman et al., 1997).

Pasteurized intact eggs can be stored and used just like raw eggs. While the properties of the egg yolk are unaffected, the egg white is milky compared to a raw egg. Whipping time is significantly longer for pasteurized eggs, but the final whip volume is nearly the same (Schuman et al., 1997).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:24 am 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
You can pasteurize eggs sous-vide while only somewhat reducing their emulsifying power... Baldwin(who says its properties are unaltered):
Quote:
Place egg in a 135°F (57°C) water bath for at least 1 hour and 15 minutes (Schuman et al., 1997).

Pasteurized intact eggs can be stored and used just like raw eggs. While the properties of the egg yolk are unaffected, the egg white is milky compared to a raw egg. Whipping time is significantly longer for pasteurized eggs, but the final whip volume is nearly the same (Schuman et al., 1997).

That's true...I had forgotten that. But, considering the time pressure I was under in getting everything ready, EggBeaters worked just fine. :D

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 am 

Amy wrote:
JB,

The newest version of CI's Caesar Salad (note: this is the plain ol' version, which is somehow now better than the "best" version they previously published) suggested using EggBeaters in place of yolks if concerned about raw eggs. Well, I'm not concerned, but as I was serving this to a pregnant woman at the baby shower, I took their queue on this. As it's pasteurized, it would last longer.

Amy

I guess it all depends on which is more expensive, EggBeaters or tofu. Although, now that I think about it, if the EggBeaters freezes well, I might start using it, since soft tofu becomes unusable if you try to freeze it and I never buy the stuff for anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 pm 

Amy, being an older guy that has now entered the "at risk" population, due to age, I checked out Douglas Baldwin's little tutorial on pasteurizing eggs a la sous vide. Pasteurized eggs are, reportedly, a bit harder to whip, but that criticism may be primarily directed at eggs pasteurized at a slightly higher temperature (140F often is recommended) instead of Baldwin's 135F for 1 hour 15 minutes: Baldwin's Perfect Egg Guide (note: you may need to scroll down a bit on the page to find the egg section that includes a discussion on pasteurizing eggs.) A nice option when serving "at risk" clientele.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:43 pm 

I've seen Baldwin's writings. Some things I agree with, others I do not. I'm not particularly worried about eggs, but this one circumstance (cooking for a pregnant woman) did give me pause. Although, she told me later, she'd have been totally okay with a coddled egg.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 am 

Sorry, I missed Paul K's post on the Baldwin method. Didn't mean to repeat the idea and I do understand the press of time.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines