Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cook's Country Batter-Fried Chicken - September 2009
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:22 am 

I haven't subscribed to CI for close to four years now, but I do still pick up Cook's Country quite a bit; I like the different regional recipes and "lost recipes" they often feature. I've had this particular recipe on my mind for quite some time as it seemed quick and easy and perfect for my Friday nights (gymnastics day) when I only have 30 minutes or so to get dinner on the table when we get home. I finally got around to trying it last week.

The recipe was made as written, with the following exceptions:

- I halved the amount of ground black pepper and cayenne pepper called for as I was afraid the original amounts might have too much of a pepper bite for Katie's tender palate.
- I dry-brined the chicken pieces instead of using the wet brine; I dislike the "spongy" texture of chicken with a wet brine and always substitute a dry brine instead.

I have the following observations:

- As promised, this was exceptionally fast and dead easy. The most time-consuming parts were bringing the oil up to temperature and the actual frying time.
- The crust was very thin and very crisp, which we loved. I also think the original amounts of black and cayenne pepper would be fine for adults or anyone who likes bit of a bite, although I will continue to lower the amounts for my daughter. There is a lot of room here to change the flavor profile as well.
- It reheated, according to directions, just fine, although I thought the crust was just a wee bit less crisp than when it was originally fried. Nothing too bothersome, however.

Conclusion: great recipe when you need fast and easy and one of the best batter-fried chicken recipes I have tried.

I am curious at this point to see how this batter will work with fish and shrimp as well, or even precooked vegetables. I suspect that salting my fish pieces and letting a little moisture bead out first, however, will be the best policy before battering and frying them to prevent possible sogginess. I may do a side-by-side both ways to see if that is necessary in the end.

Overall, a versatile batter and a good go-to recipe for busy days with little time to cook.