Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Marilyn's Toffee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:58 pm 

Gardnercook...I assume you refrigerate your toffee to prevent melting?...I've tried using the store bought tempered coins...it does work but the taste is pretty bland IMO...

Thanks again!

Lu[/quote]

Lu
FYI Pate A Glacier is not even close to the store bought coins....it is a great quatlity pre tempered chocolate.
Ilene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:19 pm 

Ahhh...the season is upon us yet again! :P

Made my first 9 lbs a few weeks ago, I usually make about a hundred pounds of the stuff. I have noticed a modest increase in the price of chocolate, I buy bulk and the required 20 lbs costs about $60.00. The real killer is the pecans!! They have gone thru the roof! :shock:

I drive thru San Saba, Texas http://www.sansabatexas.com/ (Pecan Capital of the World & birthplace of Tommy Lee Jones) every few weeks this time of the year in route to deer camp in my never ending quest to kill Bambie's grandfather (free range organic venison) and have found their cheapest price to be about $10.00 a pound! Sams Club has them for about $8.50 a pound. It takes about 15 lbs to make a hundred pounds. (AKA small fortune.)

I have created a very dependent class of people (sound familiar) and fear riot and revolt if they don't get their annual Christmas distribution of this nectar of the gods.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:44 pm 

Frank, I've also noticed nut prices are higher this year. I cut back on my distribution of holiday treats - moving 1,000 miles away made it easier. :) You can always hide out here. No one would ever look for you in Minnesota in the winter!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:11 pm 

Darcie wrote:
You can always hide out here. No one would ever look for you in Minnesota in the winter!

Al, Shane, and I had no trouble finding you in the Winter... :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:42 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
Ahhh...the season is upon us yet again! :P

I have created a very dependent class of people (sound familiar) and fear riot and revolt if they don't get their annual Christmas distribution of this nectar of the gods.

I know exactly what you mean....last year I decided to pare down the list of those receiving truffles....one person sent me a note asking if I had forgotten to send her some or could it have gotten lost in the mail. I haven't started chocolate mania yet, but probably will begin next week.
Ilene

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:33 pm 

Frank, I use walnuts on the toffee, I like the slightly more bitter edge to them on the sweet caramel.

I've been planning for Pennie's Caramels and just ordered these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GL5Y6A/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I've been trying, without success, to find the waxed paper squares that sweetc.com used to have, but haven't found them, so thought will try these to see how they work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:34 pm 

Ilene, Empathy at it's finest.. ;)

Jean,

Folks down here really prefer pecans over walnuts, you very seldom see walnuts used on anything unless the person cooking it "ain't from around here" :mrgreen: My mother who grew up in Arizona used to make things with walnuts but eventually drifted to pecans in all her dishes.

I have enjoyed Pennies caramels at a couple of gatherings where I was served the the master herself! :P I have yet to make them. We are about to get a third older child from Russia and she says that she wants to be a librarian or a chef...I'm thinking "kitchen slave" :lol: :mrgreen: I have thought she & I could make these caramels together

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:03 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
We are about to get a third older child from Russia and she says that she wants to be a librarian or a chef...

We have one of each here...send her to Colorado for a "working" visit when she's ready to try both on.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:16 am 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:33 am 

Da Bull Man wrote:
We are about to get a third older child from Russia

I take this means the first two worked out well? How are the girls? Have they embraece the gosple of real chili yet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next