Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Marilyn's Toffee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:35 am 

I need this recipe, does anyone have it?

Post subject: Re: Marilyn's Toffee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:07 am 

I have it on computer at work & can send Monday if others don't respond. The only changes I have made to original recipe is to add 1 T of corn syrup, (mixed in the water) and I put the unmelted chips directly on the hot toffee 1 minute after pouring into pan, then spread after melting

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:35 am 

Marilyn's English Toffee

1 lb unsalted butter
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 cup slivered almonds
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2 cups lightly toasted pecans

1 Melt ¾ of chocolate over hot water or in a microwave oven at half power for 2-3 minutes. When melted, stir in remaining chocolate and set aside. Line a large jelly roll or half-sheet pan with heavy-duty foil and butter the foil.
2 Melt the butter with the salt in a heavy 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add the sugar, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Add the water about halfway through this process.
3 After all the sugar is added, begin testing the mixture to see if the sugar is dissolved. Place a drop of mixture on wax paper; allow it to cool and rub it between your fingers to make sure it doesn't feel grainy. If it does, continue to cook and test again. The mixture will probably be boiling at this point.
4 When sugar is dissolved, add the almonds, and increase the heat to medium high. Cook to the hard-crack stage, or about 310-320 degrees on a candy thermometer, stirring often to keep the candy from burning on the bottom. When it’s done, it should be a medium-dark amber color and have a caramel aroma. The almonds should have a toasted color but they should not burn. This is the tricky part, as there’s a thin line between perfect and overdone, and to some extent it’s a matter of taste.
5 Remove from heat and pour into the prepared pan, spreading as evenly as possible with an offset spatula. Be careful, this stuff is hot! Set the pan on a cooling rack. After 2-3 minutes, when toffee is just set, pour reserved chocolate on top and spread evenly. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, and press them in gently with a spatula or bottom of a glass to anchor them in the chocolate.
6 Allow the toffee to harden at least 6-8 hours—overnight is better. Break into pieces using a sharp pointed knife with a rigid blade, or you can use your hands. Store in an airtight container in a cool place. Makes about 3 pounds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:12 am 

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:38 pm 

No prob. ; )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:48 am 

The season has officially started! I cranked out my first six lbs yesterday. I plan on making and giving away well over 100 lbs. this year. I fear I have created a dependant class of people who might revolt if the do not recieve their annual ration of toffee for the Christmas season. :roll:

Many that I give a lb. also buy ($15.00 per lb) additional toffee to give as gifts to family and friends. I had one lady at church tell me that her family said she could not come to Thanksgiving dinner without the toffee. She was delivered three lbs this morning...her Thanksgiving was saved!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:13 pm 

So how much do you sell the toffee for? Just Curious, I'd pay about anything for it if I couldn't make it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:05 pm 

I give away FAR more than I sell...what I do sell goes for $15.00 per pound. I really do not want to be in the candy business but the friends I give it to for Christmas have created a demand, I can either say no...or sell them the additional pounds they want...I really do not want to make more than about a hundred pounds of the stuff! :cry:

I went to Sams today and bought 50 lbs of sugar, 12 lbs of pecans, 30 lbs of Land of Lakes butter, bunches of slivered almonds & I orderd 25 lbs of Guittard semisweet chips online (cost about $80.00) It is by far my favorite chocolate for the toffee.

And please...no references to figjam... :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 am 

That's a lot of toffee. I can't even amagine making 100# of the stuff. How many batches does that translate to?
Have you found a way to make more than one batch at a time? I'm always afraid to double candy recipes.

Laurie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:32 am 

I tried to increase the batch from a std 3 lbs to 6 but it did not work well...I tried having two pots going at once...also did not go well.. :cry: I now just do a single three lb. batch ... one at a time. I tell myself is therapeutic...the deception seems to be working. :lol:

I cut each batch into (while hot) into three one lb rectangles a vacuum pack blocks with a food saver.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next