Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Sealed Cavity Aromatic Roast Chicken Technique
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:42 am 

Ilene,

That skin looks wonderful. Tell us about your oven and what cycle you used. I have been using convections since my Pure Convection makes a huge mess in the oven.

I have been experimenting with different seasonings (mix and method) using this "sealed cavity aromatic" technique. It all works.

Stuffing herbs/seasonings under the skin (striptease chicken) with mustard or mayo works nicely. Salt/baking powder on the skin works. Squeezing the cooked lemon juices over the bird or into the pan sauce works.

But the best thing must be Ilene's oven; that looks wonderful. Maybe it is your chicken...

Tim

Post subject: Re: Roast Chicken
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am 

Tim
I did use it on convection and followed your instructions. You are right, it caused a huge mess and I had to set the oven on "clean" when I went to bed.

Next time I think I might add some garlic cloves to the cavity with the lemons, but we loved the crispy skin and the moist chicken. I typically don't eat white meat, but I wanted to try it from this chicken, and it was terrific.

I used an organic chicken from Whole Foods (expensive, but great).

Thanks Tim for making me love roasted chicken again.

ilene

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:38 am 

Looks wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing...I plan to make this recipe on Wednesday...hope it turns out as beautiful as yours!

Lu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:05 pm 

I am planning to make this tomorrow for Easter Sunday. I have a few questions...
1. Do you use a roasting rack?
2. My bird is approximately 4 lbs, what should the temperature be for the breast and thigh?
3. Is it 400 degrees or 450?

Thanks so much!

Lu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:39 am 

Lu1 wrote:
I am planning to make this tomorrow for Easter Sunday. I have a few questions...
1. Do you use a roasting rack?
2. My bird is approximately 4 lbs, what should the temperature be for the breast and thigh?
3. Is it 400 degrees or 450?

1. Yes, I use a roasting rack.
2. I shoot for about 170 for the thighs, and 155-160 for the breast. I've found they get to their respective temperatures at about the same time.
3. You start at 350 with the breast down, roast for 30 minutes, then flip the bird (ha, ha) and roast for another 25 minutes. Then, you increase heat to 450 and roast for approximately 20 more minutes.

Beyond the above, the key to this recipe is sewing the bird up with the lemons inside. Also, I took Tim's suggestion about adding a little baking powder to the rub.

Hope this helps.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:25 am 

Thanks so much Amy, you're a lifesaver!

Lu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 am 

You're most welcome. btw, when you turn the oven up to 450, you'll get a fair bit of smoke coming out of the oven vent (especially if you used baking powder in the rub), so make sure to turn on your fan.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:12 pm 

The chicken was really moist and flavor. I had a few a few issues...

1. The thighs was undercooked. I flipped it over after 30 minutes...will cook longer next time.
2. There was quite a bit of smoke. I had to put some water on the bottom of the pan. Should I put water on the bottom of the pan next time to prevent this? Can I put potatoes on the bottom instead?

Jaden didn't care for the paprika...I thought it was good. Thanks again for an excellent recipe. I have to work on the cooking time, btw, I didn't use the convection mode. Should I next time?

Lu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:10 pm 

Lu
It looks beautiful.
I didn't have any part undercooked, but I did use convection.
Also, I had carrots, onions and potatoes in the bottom of the roasting pan. They burned and were inedible and did nothing to reduce the amount of smoke... I turned on the all house fan.
Ilene

BTW I would not add water to the bottom of the pan, you will steam the chicken and not get a crispy skin. You just have to deal with the smoke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:19 pm 

Per my earlier comment Lu, this recipe does create a bit of smoke...vent, and you won't have a problem. Completely concur with Ilene about adding water...not a good idea.

Amy

P.S. I don't use convection. Your bird was a 'tad' large for this recipe, but also make sure your oven is calibrated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next