Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roast Chicken
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 am 

Tim,

Mine was 3.5 lbs. and took about 1 hour ten, no convection, on a rack in an AC roaster. There was a great deal of smoke when I turned it up to 450, and I suspect this was due to the baking powder. (Thank God for high CFM hoods!)

The baking powder worked really well btw.

Amy

P.S. You should re-read the recipe...the author actually calls for an hour fifteen in the oven, so your note of saying it takes longer is a little confusing based upon your 70 minute cook time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:32 am 

Amy/Tim
Will you explain how you used the baking powder? Did you just rub it all over the skin to absorb the moisture and did you then season the skin?
Thanks,
ilene

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:47 am 

The CC had a senior moment:

I prepared the chicken and began roasting at 350 and never read the recipe. I rotated at 40 minutes and did not crank up the heat at the end. Maybe, I should try this recipe for the first time.

Lynn,

Two ways to use baking powder:

If you season under the skin, dust the outside of the skin with baking powder. My wife really likes this and I think there is a bit of an off taste.

You may also mix the baking powder with salt and seasonings. This can be rubbed on the skin or dusted on the skin.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:17 pm 

Ilene,

I lightly rubbed the bird with baking powder prior to seasoning with the salt/pepper/paprika. Worked nicely.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:44 pm 

Amy wrote:
Ilene,

I lightly rubbed the bird with baking powder prior to seasoning with the salt/pepper/paprika. Worked nicely.

Amy

Cannot wait to try it....thanks,
ilene

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm 

I've made this one from Marion Kane quite a few times, we really like it.

Roast Chicken My Way

I've been making this ever since California chef Wolfgang Puck suggested stuffing herbs and garlic under the skin of a chicken when I interviewed him in the 1980s; I've added goat cheese. Use poultry shears (or a cheap pair of kitchen scissors) to butterfly chicken. Feel free to use other herbs, omit cheese, etc.

3 to 4 lb (1 1/2 to 2 kg) chicken

1/4-cup soft goat cheese

1/4-cup minced fresh herbs (such as rosemary, thyme, sage or a combo)

2 large cloves garlic, minced

1/2 tsp each: salt, freshly ground pepper

Juice of 1/2 lemon

3/4 cup chicken stock, preferably homemade

Salt, pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F.
To butterfly chicken, slice through bones along each side of backbone; remove it and reserve for stock or other use. Place chicken, breast side up, in wide roasting pan or baking dish. Press hard on breastbone so chicken lies flat.
In bowl, combine cheese, herbs and garlic. Stuff a bit more than 1/4 of mixture under skin of each chicken breast; press on breast to distribute. Repeat with thighs using remaining mixture.
Sprinkle salt, pepper and lemon juice over chicken. Roast 40 minutes. Pour stock around chicken and roast another 10 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with fork. Transfer chicken to warmed platter.
For sauce, scrape up browned bits from pan. Skim off fat and add salt and pepper.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:37 am 

Tim,

The eGullet poster was dead-on. This is one of the best roast chickens I've eaten. Made it again last night, and it was awesome.

Thanks again for sharing.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:47 pm 

Tim, thanks for the recipe...I'm always looking for a good roast chicken recipe...haven't found one yet...will give this one a try...no brining?...interesting....will keep you posted...

Lu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:01 pm 

Tim wrote:
Hi,

I cannot believe there has not been a roast chicken thread. It the Boston Common Press growth formula works, we must need at least three new ways to roast a chicken every month. The following recipe from eGullet (http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/26986-roasting-a-chicken/page__pid__1789767__st__500#entry1789767) looks like a winner.

Quote:
    name='patrickamory' timestamp='1297735331' post='1789688'
    After trying a million different ways over the past 10 years, I feel like I have arrived at the perfect roast chicken. It's an adaptation of Marcella Hazan's recipe and works for me 100%. Breast and dark meat are perfect.

3 1/2 pound chicken, preferably Murray's
      sea salt
      pepper
      good fresh semi-sharp paprika
      2 SMALL lemons
      trussing needle and butcher's twine

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix generous amount of sea salt with freshly ground pepper and semi-sharp paprika. I use about 1 tbs salt. The final mix should have a decidedly red-and-black tinge.

Pat chicken dry thoroughly, inside and out. Rub all over, inside and out, with salt-pepper-paprika mixture.

Roll the lemons on the counter with two hands to loosen juices inside. Prick all over at least 20 times with a trussing needle (that means the ends as well). Stuff them both into the bird's cavity. It should be possible to fit both lemons.

Sew up the vent thoroughly. Tie the legs together so they are firm against the breast. Sew up the neck as well - should only take a small amount of twine (Hazan doesn't mention this, but from the way she expects the bird to swell up, there has to be something to seal off this end as well).

Place bird upside-down (legs down, back up) in roasting pan.

Place pan in top third of oven, as close as possible to the top (I use a gas oven heated from the top - temperatures are very accurate).

Roast 30 minutes.

Turn bird right-side up. Roast for 25 minutes.

Turn heat up to 450. Roast for another 20 minutes.

Remove bird from oven, allow to rest on carving board for 5-10 minutes. Carve and serve.

Note on time: bird requires 20-25 minutes per pound. I find that the above times and temperatures are perfect for a 3.5 lb Murray's bird in my oven. For a slightly heavier bird, I go 30, 30 and 20 on times. I don't find that larger birds roast as well (despite the "roaster" epithet).

This looks like a contender, possibly as good as Zuni Chicken or CC's Strip Tease Chicken.

I'll report later,

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:14 pm 

Tim
I made your Perfect Roast chicken tonight....it was everything you said it was and more. My guests all went home with a copy of the recipe.

ilene

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next