Crostini with tapanade...

Don't you mean "tamponade." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amy

OMG, I forgot all about that....but I bet Rose hasn't...too funny :lol: :lol:
ilene

Post subject: Re: Having a Lady Party
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:39 pm 

Hi Rose!
I like the CI tomato tart idea. That works well at room temp, and is lovely. Always impressive.

Chicken satay, mine always turns out dry, if you have a good recipe and method I like this too.

How about a tortelinni salad, with pesto and mozz balls and tomatoes. I am using that tomorrow, if the recipe is good I'll give it to you if you like.

I think the important thing is finding things that present well, and can be largely done ahead and not tended too much while the party is going on. Finding that balance is always tough for me. Be sure to add in your own primping time before guests arrive, this is missed by me sometimes and I end up rushing around to get dressed and look party-like.

Have fun.

Lynn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:18 pm 

I have a sweet one. Here's a pic of my almond joy torte. Flourless chocolate almond cake, coconut-white chocolate - cream cheese filling, chocolate ganache topping.

But I'd do it a little differently. Bake the cake layer in a square or rectangle. Spread the coconut filling and chill. Cut it in squares (petit four sized or a little larger), and set a whole almond on top of each square. Then pour the ganache over the tops. Individual almond joy cakes! If you want, I'll post my recipe.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:44 pm 

Pound a flank steak thin and even, roll it around a few grilled green onions/scallions, tie it in a bundle and grill it or broil it. When it's time to serve, skewer it with long skewers and slice it. 1/2 " slices (about the width of your thumb) work well. You should get about 15 slices per roll. Each steak will make two rolls. These can be made ahead and frozen. Just thaw, slice and heat. Any terykai sauce will do as a dip.
They may be superbowl-ish, but deviled eggs are always a favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:24 pm 

How about adding some smoked salmon to the yellow part of deviled eggs. That sort of un-SuperBowls them. Chives as garnish.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:14 pm 

I'm back (we lost in ot- drat).
More great ideas. Wouldn't have thought of doing a steak like that Becky, tres cool.
SS - I would love that recipe. Did it taste like an almond joy? That ganache top is calling my name.

Just in case anyone wants mine:

Cheese Shortbreads

Tasty snacks to serve with cocktails from The Cookworks, where they sandwich homemade red pepper jelly between two shortbreads. I serve them singly with store-bought jelly on the side. You can freeze dough logs and slice into rounds just before baking. Instead of shaping into logs, you can roll dough out and cut into desired shapes.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp cayenne

1 tsp each: paprika, salt

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

2 cups (8 oz/250 g) grated cheddar

In bowl, combine flour, cayenne, paprika and salt.
In food processor, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add cheddar; process with a few short pulses until combined. Add flour mixture in three batches, processing after each addition, until dough begins to form ball. (It may be a bit crumbly.)
Turn on to work surface. Divide in half. Place one half on sheet of plastic wrap; using plastic wrap, roll up into log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Fold plastic wrap over ends to enclose. Repeat with other half of dough. Chill 1 hour or until firm.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Slice dough logs into rounds about 1/4-inch thick. Place on ungreased baking sheet(s). Bake about 20 minutes on middle rack or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack(s).
Makes about 6 dozen.

Tangy Lemon Spiral – Emily Richards
Fresh lemon rind and juice offer a sweet tang to the filling of this rolled cake. Serve this cake dusted with icing sugar and a soft whipped cream to feed a crowd.
Cake
4 eggs
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp grated lemon rind
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
pinch salt

Lemon filling
3 egg yolks
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup butter, cubed
2 tbsp grated lemon rind
½ cup fresh lemon juice.

Lemon filling- In heatproof bowl, set over pot of simmering water (water should not touch the bottom of the bowl) and whisk together egg yolks, eggs and sugar in the bowl. Cook, whisking frequently for about 8 minutes or until thickened and pale in colour. Whish in butter, one piece at a time, not adding another piece until the last one is melted. Add lemon rind and juice; whisking constantly for about 4 minutes or until thickened to the consistency of pudding. Scrape into small bowl and cover surface directly with plastic wrap (touching the filling) and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until cold and thick.

Cake- In large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, lemon rind and juice with an electric mixer until well combined and sugar is dissolved. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into egg mixture on low speed until combined well. Spread into 15*12 inch parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in centre of 350 oven for about 15 minutes or until light golden and springs back when gently touched. Let cool slightly.

Sprinkle icing sugar on large clean tea towel. Turn out warm cake onto tea towel and remove parchment. Roll up into towel from one short end (jellyroll style) and cool completely.

Unroll cake and spread lemon filling evenly, leaving 1 inch at one end. Roll cake back up and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Sprinkle with icing sugar before cutting into 1 inch slices. Garnish with mint and blueberries if desired.

Note- Whip ½ cup whipping cream and fold into filling to lighten if desired.
Spread a thin layer of jam on cake before the lemon filling.
Jean’s notes- I roll from the long end for a bigger cake as that is what she did in the class.
Cake filled with lemon or orange sherbert makes an awesome icecream cake.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:47 am 

Spiced nuts! I love it when someone serves a bowl of nuts, especially spiced ones. They are a great nibble.

The title of this thread makes me think of Little Britain..."because I'm a laaady and I do laaaady things." Anyone else?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 am 

Amy wrote:
gardnercook wrote:
Crostini with tapanade...

Don't you mean "tamponade." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amy

OH MY GAWD!!! Thanks alot Amy!! I had blocked that out and now it's all rushing back to me in one awful rush of embarrassment!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 am 

Darcie wrote:
The title of this thread makes me think of Little Britain..."because I'm a laaady and I do laaaady things." Anyone else?

yup :lol:

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:10 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Those dreaded tortilla rolls with cream cheese and odds and ends inside seem to turn up at every lady gathering I go to and are usually quite good.

I have a great recipe for those things with chicken orange and jalepeno. There is a grapefruit salsa in it too. I think I should make these for my next party as my husband always asks for them.

Mary