Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How did you cook your turkey?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 pm 

Glad we all seem to have had a good Thanksgiving or turkey day for our Canadian friends, but how did you cook it? I love turkey, and have done the Thanksgiving since I was 18, and only once in all that time did it not turn out. (Long story, other forces at work.) This year I did the spatchcocked turkey with cranberry glaze, (CI's recipe) and it was terrific. Small one though, 12 lbs.

How did everyone else do theirs?

Post subject: Re: How did you cook your turkey?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:17 pm 

Hi,

We had a ten pound farm raised bourbon red. This bird had little fat and needed some special care. We opted to use a modified dry brine that I have used for wild birds. I loosened all of the skin and stuffed the bird with liberal amounts of herbs (sage, parsley, rosemary, oregano, tarragon, thyme), spices (kosher salt, adobo, mild cajun, black/white pepper and picante pimentone) with mayonnaise. This was done a day in advance, wrapped tightly and refrigerated. A few hours before roasting, we tossed a small bag of ice inside and placed the bird breast down on ice.

Roasted, without trussing or stuffing, at 400 degrees on convection breast down for an hour and breast up for 30 minutes. Breast was at 150 and thighs at 170. This worked beautifully.

We used some Kenji Alt recipes from SeriousEats.com including Ultra-Fluffy Mashed Potatoes and the Very Best Stuffing/Dressing which were both wonderful.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:55 pm 

Tim,

Can you describe the flavor of the bourbon red? I'm interested in trying it.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:38 am 

I made two stuffings-a traditional bread with apples and sausage and a barley with shiitakes and lemon. I split the bird (18 #) and put one half on each stuffing and roasted them at 350 for about 3.5 hours.
I had brined the bird for about 7 hours and then air dried it in the fridge. Everyone loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:17 am 

I started the day at 5:00 am roasting a turkey breast so we'd be sure to have leftovers. Around 8:30 I went to the basement fridge to get the big turkey to set him out so he could warm up a bit. Well @*&@, the GD thing was frozen almost solid!!! We have a new supermarket and I thought I'd try them. A month ago I asked if they would have any fresh turkeys and was told they would. I ordered one (15-17 lbs). To me fresh means fresh - not frozen. I called the store and asked why the hell I had a frozen bird when I asked for a fresh, non-frozen one and was told "fresh means it has no additives, no hormones, etc" So, I had to find another turkey from another store and fortunately was able to find an open store that had one. By this time I'm so effing mad I could explode. And it's only 9:00 am!

So, we got the fresh turkey picked up and put in the oven around 10:00 am and he roasted nicely until he reached 165 and we took him out. Everything turned out fine. Only problem we had was grandson dropped the relish tray in the driveway. 10 years old, heartbroken, teary-eyed. Picked it all up, washed it off. Didn't tell a soul.

In the end it was a nice day. Good food and family.

Fitzie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:29 pm 

I was invited for Thanksgiving and only made sweet potatoes and sugar cookies. A friend was not able to attend and was feeling a bit blue so I made her a "deconstructed Thanksgiving dinner". I roasted a boneless turkey breast half (salt, pepper mustard on the bird then topped with a mix of panko, melted butter, sage, parsley), made a fake gravy but added to that a little bit of cranberry sauce that was left over (good move) and then made CI's mashed sweet potatoes (loved those).

I don't miss making a turkey but I do miss my stuffing.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:23 pm 

I was also invited to a friend's so I just made a loaf of sourdough no-knead bread and a lemon meringue pie. For the pie, I used CI's vodka pastry and rolled it in graham cracker crumbs, but used the lemon filling and meringue recipe from "Pie in the Sky" and it was the first time I ever had sky high meringue that did not weep...it was a beautiful thing. I like CI's lemon filling better but I had made it for this group before and they all puckered up. The Pie in the Sky one is not as lemony. Personally, I like the CI filling better, but everyone at TD liked the new one better

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:03 pm 

I brined the old fashioned way (Pam Anderson "Perfect Recipe") but had to do a quick brine since I started it Wed @ 5pm. 15lb bird was delicious, served w/stuffing, creamy mashed pots, gravy (best ever!), fresh cran sauce and roasted carrots (eh). Dessert was pumpkin and apple pies. For 2 of us! Needless to say, besides making the stock and soup, I've been relaxing away from the kitchen since the big day, enjoying the bountiful leftovers. ;)
Nance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:47 pm 
Site Admin

I made cioppino.

Maybe I should explain how I cooked my Crab?

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:08 am 

I had a 14 pounder. I iced down the breast for about 45 minutes before stuffing. I wanted to roast it upside down, but in the past have had trouble with the skin sticking to the rack when it was time to flip it. So I buttered up a piece of parchment and cut lots of holes in it, placed the parchment on the rack, then roasted the bird breast side down for a while. I flipped it over for the second half without the parchment. It was the moistest turkey I've ever cooked.