Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How did you cook your turkey?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:30 am 

Amy,

The flavor of a bourbon red can vary significantly based on the feed. This year our bird spent a few months eating grass and some grain. I was finished on grain. I have another grower who wants to raise turkeys in a sunflower field which will increase the fat content appreciably.

This years lean bird had flavor combining elements of goose and pheasant. It had much more texture and flavor than the free range Amish breast we poached in gravy base to supplement our meal. The texture was very much like goose and thankfully not at all tough like the free range chickens the same farmer grows. (He waits until they are well over five pounds and they require braising.) The flavor is like a cross between goose and pheasant although not as gamey as pheasant.

I understand Silver Sage's comments about roasting breast down. This year we suspended the bird using two kabob skewers right through the thigh and wing. This improves air circulation around the bird and also allows you to flip the bird over in two seconds. We have used this method many times and it is very easy.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:23 pm 

I ended up with an 18 lb bird (for three people! Next year DH gets better instructions). I dismembered it and made stock with the back/neck. I did a traditional brine, then air dried for a few hours before roasting. Simple butter under/over the skin, salt & pepper. It was probably the best turkey I ever made since I was able to take parts out as they got done. I will definitely do it this way again. We've been feasting on the leftovers all weekend. Turkey enchiladas, turkey melts, and probably turkey shop tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 pm 

I resumed normal hosting again this year, at Harrison's request. The turkey turned out really well. I dry-brined two days in advance, and roasted in a low 250* oven, finishing with a high temp to crisp after resting for 20-30 minutes. The turkey really was exceptional, it was really juicy and tender, and the brine helped the flavor immensely. It was an 18#er. I should mention that I made Rod bring up an extra refrigerator and oven and put them in the garage; with the ham and sides, I couldn't have used this recipe without them. Unless you plan well, lots of fridge room taken up.