Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Northern Beans vs Cannellini Beans
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 am 

Is there much of a difference between the flavor of these two beans? I read recipes where you can substitute one for the other. I have had Great Northerns many times, but I dont' think I have tasted Cannellini or at least if did, I didn't know what they were.

Post subject: Re: Great Northern Beans vs Cannellini Beans
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 pm 

No, I sub them all the time as always have used the canned . GN's are slight smaller than CB's, which are also called white kidney beans. But the flavor and texture are similar. Here's a blurb I found on wisegeek:

Cannellini beans are a variety of white beans popular in Central and Southern Italy, particularly in Tuscany. Other names for the bean include white kidney bean and fazolia bean. They are similar to white navy beans or haricots, as they are known in Britain. These large white beans are often mistaken for great northern beans, as the two are so alike in appearance.

Before cooking, cannellini beans must be thoroughly rinsed. When cooked, the cannellini bean is fluffy and creamy. They are typically known for their smooth texture and nutty flavor. In recipes that call for the beans, substitutions can be made with great northern or white navy beans

Great Northern Beans are a delicately flavored white bean related to the kidney bean and the pinto bean. They are typically grown in the Midwestern US, though some people may grow and harvest them elsewhere. Depending upon where you live, you may find them available canned or dried. Though called a white bean, the color of Great Northern Beans tends toward cream and some say they look similar in shape, albeit smaller, to lima beans.

Any recipe that uses other white beans like navy beans or cannellini beans can be made with Great Northern Beans instead. Though these beans alone may not have considerable taste, they do absorb flavor extremely well. They will easily take on the flavor profiles of spices or herbs used in cooking. Popular recipes that you can use these beans for include most varieties of baked beans and recipes like the French cassoulet. You can also toss Great Northern Beans into most soups you’re cooking, providing they’ve been pre-soaked or you’re using canned varieties.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Todd,

From personal experience, Great Northerns are slightly smaller (shorter, actually) and slightly firmer in texture than cannellini. However, you could substitute one for the other in almost any recipe without anyone noticing. The only thing which might be an exception is recipes which call for pureed or mashed cannellini; pureed great northerns would be a bit grainy compared to the creamyness of the cannellini.

Also, in soups you could get away with substituting Navy beans for either of the above; they'd just be smaller, that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:33 am 

I prefer cannellini beans to great northerns in most soups and stews. For instance Great Northerns are not nearly as good in CI's Tuscan Bean Stew as Cannellini Beans are. I also find the GN's loose there skin easier than the Cannellini's. I do interchange them in some dishes based on what's in the pantry at the time.

Laurie