Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Deep frying
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:31 am 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
I actually use an infrared thermometer for this. I've found the surface temp in a deep fryer seems to reflect the internal temp pretty well. I occasionally sweep around my thermopen in there to make sure. I used to use a clip on one and kinda hate how fries get trapped behind it, plus it gets icky, plus they seem to be common inaccurate.

I think I need one of these. Emilie and Paul, which one(s) did you get?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:20 am 

I'm a certain kind of instrumentation junkie, so I got a Fluke; however, I think fluke in this case is mostly just rebranding someone else's tool and up charging for it (though not that much by fluke standards....) and it probably isn't worth it. Of course, I don't really have a clue what I'm talking about because I've never really used anything but the fluke, so maybe it is way nicer to use, but I suspect not. I suspect any reputable vendor/manufacturer would be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:13 am 

I'm thinking that maybe the Infrared will solve two of my needs; one, I want to be able to check the interior temps. of my fridges and freezers (yep, I had to have my big side-by-side repaired recently after I noticed that my beer wasn't very cold). Two, if it would work for checking the temps on the frying oil it would be a whole lot less messy and save a bit of cleanup.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:21 am 

Yah, those are great uses. Also, checking the temp of a pan, though beware shiny dry pans give very wrong (low) readings. Darker pans or those with a little oil in them give much better readings. I use mine quite a lot, though of course there are people who object to even taking the temperature of a steak, so I am not one of those :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:32 pm 

This has fabulous reviews, for under $20.
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466631011&sr=8-1&keywords=infrared+cooking+thermometer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:50 am 

The Thermapen is rated up to 572F. Maybe convection was causing temperature variations in the oil?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:31 am 

wino wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Wino, that's way less than the one at Thermoworks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:38 am 

Kathy's Pete wrote:
The Thermapen is rated up to 572F. Maybe convection was causing temperature variations in the oil?

Not sure what you are referring to on the variations, but 572F isn't really high enough if you want to use it for grilling usage. I've used mine to check temps in my pizza grilling set-up, and you are looking for temps in the 700-800 range.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:49 am 

Linda wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:
I actually use an infrared thermometer for this. I've found the surface temp in a deep fryer seems to reflect the internal temp pretty well. I occasionally sweep around my thermopen in there to make sure. I used to use a clip on one and kinda hate how fries get trapped behind it, plus it gets icky, plus they seem to be common inaccurate.

I think I need one of these. Emilie and Paul, which one(s) did you get?
Hi Linda, sorry I'm just seeing this. This is the one I got. It works sooooo easily compared to the one I had before (which actually was a Thermoworks model but a little pocket one).

http://www.thermoworks.com/IR-Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:56 am 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Kathy's Pete wrote:

Not sure what you are referring to on the variations, but 572F isn't really high enough if you want to use it for grilling usage. I've used mine to check temps in my pizza grilling set-up, and you are looking for temps in the 700-800 range.
I wouldn't use a Thermapen to check grill temps. I was responding to this post (I should have quoted it) regarding using a Thermapen for reading frying oil temperatures (consistent with the thread title):
Linda wrote:
marygott wrote:
Does the thermapen work for this?

mary, when my thermometer alcohol broke up I tried using my thermopen on the oil but I got weird readings, they'd jump all over the place. Maybe it's not meant for temps that high.