Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooking from the Freezer: Sudden Death Overtime
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

So ...

Given that we're moving in a week, I'm trying to use up all of the items from our freezer/pantry that I can. So far I haven't had to get really creative (veggie sausage and pandan leaf casserole, anyone?) but I expect I will by Friday.

What's the most "creative" thing you've made in an effort to empty out the freezer/fridge?

Post subject: Re: Cooking from the Freezer: Sudden Death Overtime
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:46 pm 

Sorry I can't add to this Josh as I haven't had to deal with this "sudden death" issue but am very curious to see responses. Good luck with the move and the adjustment to OR.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 am 

We are moving out in 3 weeks for renos. Last night was the first Hail Mary: 'old', frozen Mahi-mahi s l o w cooked in a vege/curry/viognier/onion/garlic/etc. sauce :D ;)
It was only okay but we finished it :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:54 am 

My motto is when in doubt throw it in a quesadilla. I've also done turkey on the grill in July to enable me to clean out the big freezer. One week....wow - time has flown. You guys excited?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Jean,

Right now we're buried in boxes.

Do you have *any idea* how much cookware I need to pack?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:35 am 

I can only imagine since I just cleaned out my kitchen drawers/cupboards and I don't think I have as much as you. It's the catch 22. You are surrounded by boxes that need to be packed but you can't pack because you have no room to work. And if you pack it you will surely need it right afterwards.
The amount we've accumulated in this house over the past 23 (gulp) years further enforces the "we are never moving" mentality.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:54 pm 

jeanf wrote:
I can only imagine since I just cleaned out my kitchen drawers/cupboards and I don't think I have as much as you. It's the catch 22. You are surrounded by boxes that need to be packed but you can't pack because you have no room to work. And if you pack it you will surely need it right afterwards.
The amount we've accumulated in this house over the past 23 (gulp) years further enforces the "we are never moving" mentality.

I started chuckling when I read this. It made me think of when I moved out of my parents house in '84, and I rented a 5 ton Uhaul, with a lift. I had it almost filled, with just kitchen/food related things, but only about half as much of everything else. Imagine what it would be like now. :o

I try emptying out my freezer somewhat every "cookie season", as I need a bunch of space to line up all those logs of cookie dough. Using up a bunch of the butter helps (keeps forever in Foodsaver), but mainly I just start eating all of the precooked dishes that build up in there. Good time of year to save all that cooking.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:43 am 
Site Admin

jeanf wrote:

Man, you totally nailed it. We have to keep restacking the boxes so that we have room to pack more boxes. And I've bought at least $100 worth of stuff which I accidentally packed ... including one of the tape guns!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:12 pm 

Every time I move I announce that I am downsizing my kitchen supplies! I swear 75% of my belongings are somehow food related.

My strategy is to pack the most loved/most used items first. That way when I hit the packing wall and decide to go into a frenzy of purging (mainly so I don't have to pack whatever is left that is not in a box), I'm not donating or giving away stuff that I will regret later. I did this after I realized after one move that I had given away literally all of my baking pans. Muffin tins, loaf pans, cake tins, baking sheets, cooling racks, ramekins, you name it, none of them made it to the new place.

Moving from an apartment is the worst though because you literally have nowhere good to stack packed boxes. The best you can do is clear a wall as best you can and designate that as your collection zone. I also like to use my dining room table as a box layering device. It helps to add a bit of stability to the pile.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Well, we're loaded into the container now, and the weirdest thing I ended up eating was a rosemary cheddar, homemade pickle and piquillo pepper sandwich. Wasn't bad, really, although I have no real desire to make another one.