Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To iodize or not to iodize... ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:23 pm 

I've never really known whether or not to buy the type of table salt with iodine in it. I just noticed that the big box of Diamond Crystal table salt I bought last time does have iodine in it, but that is totally happenstance. The Morton boxes without it say it doesn't provide that "essential" (or something like that) nutrient, but do we get enough iodine from our food in general? I usually use fine grain sea salt for my baking and then a big box of regular table salt for cooking. So I'm just wondering, for those of you who aren't as clueless as I am about it -- what do you buy and why?

Emilie

Post subject: Re: To iodize or not to iodize... ?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

So, I got into a long discussion about this on cooking.stackexchange.com, which seems to be not findable now.

Anyway, TL;DR is that it's not easy for us to get the recommended amount of iodide in our diets without iodized salt. Few foods contain large amounts of iodide; you'd need a diet very high in seaweed, shellfish or dairy to not need supplementing via Morton's (surprisingly, fin fish has very little iodide, except for a few bottom-feeders like cod).

There is some room for argument that the recommended amounts are rather high, but then iodized salt is hardly an economic burden. An iodide deficiency can cause goiter in adults, and lower IQ in children. It is not known to be possible to overdose unless you are at risk for thyroid cancer.

If for some reason you find iodized salt to be really disagreeable, then I suggest eating at least 24 oz of real miso soup (made with real konbu) at least once a month. Konbu has startling amounts of iodide. Nori, alone among seaweeds, has almost none.

For our part, we have iodized table salt, non-iodized (for baking, where iodide can affect flavors), kosher salt and large-crystal sea salt. Evaporation harvested sea salt does, in fact, have iodide, although less than Morton's does.

More on iodide here: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodin ... fessional/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:08 am 

I use Diamond Kosher salt as my main salt including some baking. If I need finer salt I use regular Morton (with Iodide). I also sea salts for finishing. Steve uses Penzeys Smoky 4/S Special Seasoned Sea Salt a lot. Our multi-vitamin has iodine in it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:27 am 

Thanks so much, Josh and Alina. Actually the reason I've always had the question in my mind (which of course I forgot to include in my post) is if iodine in salt affects the taste of food. That's what has made me wonder if it was necessary to buy that type.

I've been using Diamond Crystal kosher exclusively since I discovered it at Penzeys a few years ago -- I love that it dissolves easier than Morton's. But of course Kosher isn't in the shakers or the recipes I cook that don't call for it. But as I mentioned, my current big box of regular salt is iodized, and I haven't noticed a difference, so maybe it takes an especially refined palate to detect it? That definitely wouldn't be me.

Either way, I'm glad to know it's hard to get it in the diet otherwise.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:44 am 

I was glad to see this discussion here; I've wondered too every time I buy regular cooking salt whether I should buy one over the other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:23 am 

I don't notice an iodine taste. I buy fine sea salt with iodine for baking and salting water for things like pasta, potatoes, etc. I use Diamond kosher salt (Emilie - I get mine at Costco pretty darn cheap) for most meats and Maldon for veggies/salad. I have a Himalayan pink salt grinder (disposable from Costco) for the table since it's pretty. And a smoked salt to add to rubs. And 4/s for corn and other fun food. I also have a grey salt for finishing some veggies. I think that's it. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:54 am 

Emilie, I automatically convert my savory recipes as put them in LC to kosher salt if they use table salt. Main reason I originally started using Diamond is that conversion is a no brainer just double for kosher salt. I have a small container of it that has a shaker, but I don't find I need it. Just us the salt from up high method.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Emile,

The two places I've noticed an iodine taste are in baked goods that require salt, and in foods which have a salt cure (like gravlax). Otherwise, no.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:47 pm 

I have lots of salts. Like Fuzzy, I do notice iodine in baked goods if there isn't another strong flavor to mask it or in very salty things. I have:

Diamond Crystal Kosher -- I use this for cooking and for brining. It can be used in any recipe calling for regular salt -- just double the amount called for.

Morton's table salt -- mostly for any bread the whole family will be eating and pretty much to make sure we are getting iodine.

Maldon -- my favorite for corn on the cob and sausage making. Also great on focaccia.

Celtic fine sea salt -- I seem to mostly use this on pita chips. It's a little crunchy, but light enough to cling to the chips. Also works well on margarita glasses.

Hawaiian pink sea salt -- My dad gave it to me. I am slowly using it up, one batch of kalua pork at a time.

Popcorn salt -- for kettle corn.

I don't have a salt shaker. Well, I think there is one in the china cabinet in the dining room, but it only comes out for dinners where my grandpa will be present because he's one of those people who HAS to add salt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:26 am 
Site Admin

JB,

That's like my list of olive oils.