All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I can't cook beans
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Karen,

Glad to hear that "you know beans" now!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:15 pm 

I have been eating my Enfrijoladas with chicken for 4 days now and am going to poach more chicken tomorrow so we can keep eating it! I'm sure everyone here already know this, but these beans (Rancho Gordo) are by far the best I have ever had.....My son who spent a year in Mexico as an exchange student even commented as to how close this resembled food he had there....I just can't stop eating them.

Karen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 am 

I love cooking with Rancho Gordo beans. I can definitely tell difference from store shelf beans( who knows how long they have sat on the shelf). They cook much quicker than store beans, and are creamier. I've tried at least a half a doz. different varieties that they carry and have had success with pressure cooking and reg. stove top. On they downside the shipping & handling cost is expensive as are the beans themselves, much more so than store bought. I live in Ohio so no markets sell them, that I have seen . Stephanie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

Stephanie:

First, good to see you here.

Second, where are you in Ohio? I'd expect the beans to be available at Food of Holes and the Central Market.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:02 pm 

I'd think that so close to Michigan, you'd be able to get pretty decent beans at a Whole Foods (I wish I could remember the brand I buy there, but I transfer them to jars as soon as I open the bag.) or a health food store. The bagged beans at regular supermarkets are usually pretty awful, but crunchy granola types genuinely like beans, so the quality and the sell-through at crunchy granola stores tends to be worlds better.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:47 pm 

I'm eating some of the drunken beans made with the recipe in the January/February 2015 issue. Pretty good. The beans go in the oven for about an hour, then finish on the stove-top.

As usual with CI recipes, I had to jazz it up a bit in the heat/flavor department. A few shots of Tapatio and a dash of cumin helped.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:07 pm 

Hi Stephanie. I live in Toledo and can't find Rancho Gordon beans anywhere. Toledo does not have the two stores that fuzzy suggested, that I know of. I do trek up to Whole Foods in Ann Arbor sometimes, but I haven't looked at the beans there :o . I joined the Rancho Gordon beans club. There is a very very small price break and you receive a non bean item each time. I love the beans and they work for me, I try to make up the expense somewhere else. They also have some other interesting things on their site. I'm thinking about ordering the banana vinegar pretty soon......Good Luck!!

Karen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:10 am 

I checked their website to see if their beans were sold anywhere in my area and much to my surprise they are sold in a local cheese shop. So, what I've been spending in freight I can now spend in glorious chese!

fitzie