Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grinding Meat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:38 am 

I received the second delivery of my Beef share on Sunday. I'm not sure who made the delivery this time, but they obviously didn't read the notes for my account. They left my frozen meat by my front door out in the hot sun instead of walking 20 feet to my back door and leaving it in the cooler that is always out for my deliveries. Fortunately, my mom saw it and brought it in before it thawed out too much. For my 12 lb.'s, I received 12 short ribs, 4 lbs of ground beef, 1 heart and about 1 lb of tongue. When I inquired about getting some heart, I was told that I could request Offal and it wouldn't count towards my 12 lbs. That wasn't the case for this delivery, because It was part of the 12 pounds. I requested the heart because I want to grind it and make some Coney Sauce. I didn't request any tongue, but they sent me some, so I am thinking about grinding that as well or should I save the tongue and use it for something else. Also, my short ribs are cut differently then what I am used to seeing. They are about 4" x 4" and only about 3/4" of an inch thick. I thought short robs were supposed to be about 3" thick. Am I mistaken on this? Do I need to do anything special with the heart before I grind it for my sauce?

Post subject: Re: Grinding Meat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:54 pm 

Corned beef tongue makes awesome Ruben sandwiches.

Don't know anything about Beefheart, but I did own a vinyl disk of Trout Mask Replica back in days of turntables and 8 tracks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:16 am 

I made my Coney Sauce this morning. I used my meat grinder attachment for my stand mixer with the fine grinding disc and reground my hamburger. I also ground the beef tongue. I browned the meat and added some kosher salt and chili powder. Lots of chili powder. I simmered this for 60 minutes This is a Flint style coney sauce and not a Detroit style chili sauce. I really like how the meat looks having used the fine disc. The finer grind looks better on the Coney Dog. I made the sauce for my nephews party today.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:53 am 

Try anticuchos for the beef heart. We quite like them. Heart is also good in stew.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:31 pm 

I've seen the thinner short ribs, I always braise mine. I have seen them grilled on some cooking shows, but I think I would still braise them. I have a great recipe if you want it let me know and I'll dig it up for you. I have a hell of time finding short ribs here. I have to buy them when I go down state and bring home. Love the Flint style coney sauce! Always on a Kogel dog!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:27 am 

MiGirl,
Costco's my go-to source for beef short ribs. Around here they're hard to find as well for some reason, but Costco always has them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:33 am 

More importantly, Costco has boneless short ribs. Perfect for kalbi or burgers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:05 pm 

Hey Todd,
Any chance of getting your Flint style sauce recipe? I should have one being in Toledo, but I do not... :shock:

Thanks!
Karen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:08 am 

Karen,
We use Hamburger and if you can get it finely ground that is great, because it sits better on the Hot Dog. I actually reground my meat using the finest blade on my meat grinder. Brown 1 lb of meat and season with Salt, Pepper and 3 - 4 Tbsp of Chili Powder. Do not drain off the fat. Let this simmer for at least 20 minutes adding water to keep it moist. That's it. Depending on your Chili Powder, you might want to add Less or More. The sauce should have a little bit of a bite to it from the Chili Powder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:36 am 

Thanks Todd, I can do that!