Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble in PC-land
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Folks:

I'm really having a hard time getting water proportions right for cooking beans in the pressure cooker. Last night I tried to make Mexican beans and ended up with bean soup, and all the flavor went into the broth, and there was way too much of it.

One of the reasons I returned the Lorna Sass book to the library is that even she doesn't have enough information in that regard, except for her specific recipes. Otherwise she does the same thing other guides do: assumes that you use the same amount of water regardless of whether beans are presoaked or not. Other guides are worse, and assume that all types of beans from lentils to giant limas require the same water proportions. And the innertubes are all over the place, I've seen everything from 1:1 to 4:1 for the same beans.

Anyone here have reliable figures on bean/water ratios? Even for just a few specific beans, it would be ahead of where I am now.

Post subject: Re: Trouble in PC-land
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:31 am 

I've found this site quite useful. To help you with a conversion I do soak my black beans (using CI salt soak) and rinse. After I put the beans in the cooker I add enough water to have 1" over the beans. That gives me beans with a bit of liquid, not soup with beans in it.

Post subject: Re: Trouble in PC-land
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:28 am 

I'm pretty new to PC beans an have not really done much with varying the amount of water. I, too, have been brining my beans [3TNaCl, 4qt H20, 24hrs]. I do this soon after I buy them and freeze brined beans in half potions. So far, I have done mostly garbanzo and white kidney beans.

At cooking time, I heat up 7 cups of water in my kettle while the PC is heating gently with frozen, brined beans [about 2 cups]. Adding boiling water gets the cooker up to pressure much more quickly than my stovetop. I think my next timing test for white beans calls for 4 minutes with natural release.

I am not sure I have cooked a full pound of beans yet, but I do not think it would be necessary to double the water from my half portions and it is possible that nobody has really cooked the many pounds of beans that it would take to draw conclusions about water quantities. I have been testing time and release method and have not thought about water quantities at all. Need to add it to the list of variables.