Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Corned Beef
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:01 pm 

Mixed question, so I wasn't sure what board to put this one on - mods, feel free to move it as desired.

I am thinking of corning my own beef for St Patty's day. Yes, I know it isn't Irish. However my second generation Irish father adores it, and even more so on St Patty's. So there. ;)

Any comments on the Ruhlman recipe? I have corning spices from Penzey's and curing salt, so as long as I do my weights and measures I should be okay with the cure.

Now for the cooking. I saw an old post of Amy's for sous vide-ing it at 140F for 48 hours. I think the beef would be perfectly cooked at that point. But... but... no broth to cook the veggies in! So what to do to get around that? Put a couple of cupps of water in the bag (ice)? Sacrifice an end piece to be boiled or pressure cooked for broth? Any ideas here? I'll boil it before I will do without the broth...

Thanks,

--Lisa

Post subject: Re: Corned Beef
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:14 pm 

I prefer dry-brined, uncured (no pink salt) brisket. I use CI's recipe and vacuum seal the brisket in a large food-saver bag. I weight it with a large bag of rice if am only doing one brisket. If I am doing a few, I just stack them and rotate them every day. Then I cook the brisket in some stout in the slow-cooker. I'm just not wild about boiled dinner, though I will often accompany the brisket with traditional boiled-dinner veggies, prepared some other way -- matchstick root veggies or braised cabbage, for instance.

My favorite beef to use is the point cut from the local grass-fed beef grower. They raise Highland cattle, which are smaller and leaner than the Holsteins and Angus usually grown for beef in this country. However, with conventional beef, I prefer the flat cut as the point is way too fatty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:17 pm 

I've used the Ruhlman recipe and like it. The curing salt is essential, IMO, unless you're a diehard New Englander (I never liked corned beef growing up in Vermont - couldn't get over the appearance).

I just bought a couple of cheap corned beefs (beeves?) at Price-rite but I'll cure my own if I find a reasonably-priced brisket in the next couple of weeks.

I'm ignorant on the topic but my first guess would be that CB benefits less from SV cooking than other cuts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 pm 

While the SV corned beef did work, I guess I'm ultimately not the biggest fan of it. Although pastrami is calling my name...

Amy