Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chicken Canzanese
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:36 pm 

I made this tonight again, this time with a turkey thigh each. I usually make four chicken thighs and all of the sauce because we love it so much.

It made me wonder if the sauce could be frozen and survive well. Since it takes 2 1/2 hours start to plating, I don't make it often. I am thinking: sear some cheap chicken parts for other meals, make the rest of the sauce up until the point it would go back into the oven with the chicken and freeze (without the chicken). At some later point I would defrost, sear more chicken/turkey, add the sauce and cook in the oven as normal. The rosemary, lemon and butter would be added at the end as normal.

If it worked I would probably make a huge batch in a dutch oven and freeze enough for three or four meals.

Thoughts? Pitfalls?

--Lisa

Post subject: Re: Chicken Canzanese
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:02 pm 

I don't see any downside to your plan. I have frozen the finished dish with good results.

The chicken will still need over an hour in the oven after searing, but you may be able to trim nearly an hour off the total prep time.

Chicken Canzanese quick enough for a weeknight meal will be worth the effort. I would be tempted to build the sauce using wings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:39 am 

Thanks, Jim. Knowing someone has tried freezing helps. I was going to be annoyed if I ruined all those ingredients. I am thinking either wings or leg quarters for the fond - whatever is on sale that I can incorporate into another dish for dinner during the week.

Try turkey thighs some time - they came out meltingly tender and I think even more flavorful than the chicken thighs.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:58 am 

Chicken Canzanese on America's Test Kitchen Season 11

If there is anybody who is not familiar with this recipe, it is one of the top chicken recipes ever published by Cook's Illustrated.

Chicken Canzanese

Published May 1, 2010. Adapted from Cook's Illustrated. Serves 4 to 6

When seasoning the dish at the end, be mindful that the prosciutto adds a fair amount of salt. It is important to use a piece of thickly sliced prosciutto in this recipe; thin strips will become tough and stringy. An equal amount of thickly sliced pancetta or bacon can be used in place of the prosciutto. Serve the chicken with boiled potatoes, noodles, or polenta to absorb extra sauce.
Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 ounces prosciutto (1/4 inch thick), cut into 1/4-inch cubes (see note)
4 medium garlic cloves, sliced thin lengthwise
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat and skin
Ground black pepper
2 teaspoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 whole cloves
1 (4-inch) sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed and minced fine (about 1/2 teaspoon), stem reserved
12 whole fresh sage leaves
2 bay leaves
1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Table salt

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch heavy-bottomed ovensafe skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring frequently, until just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add garlic slices and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is golden brown, about 1½ minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic and prosciutto to small bowl and set aside. Do not rinse pan.

2. Increase heat to medium-high; add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and heat until just smoking. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with ground black pepper. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook without moving until well browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken and brown on second side, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to large plate.

3. Remove all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan. Sprinkle flour over fat and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly add wine and broth; bring to simmer, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Cook until liquid is slightly reduced, 3 minutes. Stir in cloves, rosemary stem, sage leaves, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and reserved prosciutto and garlic. Nestle chicken into liquid, skin side up (skin should be above surface of liquid), and bake, uncovered, until meat offers no resistance when poked with fork but is not falling off bones, about 1 hour 15 minutes. (Check chicken after 15 minutes; broth should be barely bubbling. If bubbling vigorously, reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.)

4. Using tongs, transfer chicken to serving platter and tent with foil. Remove and discard sage leaves, rosemary stem, cloves, and bay leaves. Place skillet over high heat and bring sauce to boil. Cook until sauce is reduced to 1¼ cups, 2 to 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in minced rosemary, lemon juice, and butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce around chicken and serve.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:37 pm 

Lisa,

This is an example of a recipe I'd do SV and not braise. I'd cook the chicken SV, then sear and remove, then make sauce as directed, and add back in the chicken jus from bag...reduce again until to proper consistency, then add chicken back to finish.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:18 pm 

Hi Amy,

I will keep that in mind after I get my circulator. I might end up with several make ahead steps here. This is one of my favorite recipes, hands down.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:44 am 

I haven't made this recipe yet though I've considered it a number of times.
Problem is there's no way I can get thick prosciutto or pancetta where I live so I've decided to try it with the bacon instead.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:44 am 

jim262 wrote:
Chicken Canzanese on America's Test Kitchen Season 11

If there is anybody who is not familiar with this recipe, it is one of the top chicken recipes ever published by Cook's Illustrated.

I thought all of their recipes were the (Enter superlative of your choosing here) ever created. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:12 am 

Linda wrote:
I haven't made this recipe yet though I've considered it a number of times.
Problem is there's no way I can get thick prosciutto or pancetta where I live so I've decided to try it with the bacon instead.

Linda,

I've subbed thick sliced bacon many times. It will still be very good.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:52 pm 

Given that it freezes well, I'd be inclined to big batch cook it on a weekend and freeze it for later weeknight meals. Since DH and I are both self employed and tend to work way too much, it's what I do with a lot of recipes. CI's carbonnade, weeknight chili, slow cooker meatballs, Serious Eats chili, Bobby Flay chili, beef burgundy, chicken and sausage gumbo, chicken curry, spaghetti sauce, pot roast and gravy, roast chicken/turkey and gravy, stews, soups....all freeze well. Much easier to nuke a premade dish with a salad and rice than to cook from scratch mid-week, that's for sure!