Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 24 Essential Kitchen Tricks and Tips from Kenji
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:55 pm 

Josh - I follow Mary's technique - also use a tea strainer - the same one I use for powdered sugar (washed, of course)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:54 pm 

I follow the California avocado website method: half and depit avocado. Cut halves lengthwise into quarters. Peel like a banana (it really does work so long as they are ripe), then slice or chunk. Super fast and less messy than scooping and less dangerous than slicing in the skin (I have cut myself that way...sharp paring knife sliced through flesh, skin, skin and flesh kinda like Frank and that coconut).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:39 pm 

#5 - think like a factory line - is one I learned to do long ago when beginning to cook a lot of Chinese food. I often had the same ingredients in a number of dishes - ginger, garlic, scallions, soy sauce, etc. - and I quickly learned than it was most efficient to clean them all, cut all of each up and divide it between plates for each recipe, and measure out each liquid into small containers for eeach recipe. It really does look like a factory line with all these things lined up!

#16 - containers with matching lids - is a great time saver. Odd ball sizes that show up I keep in a box to use for sending things home with friends, or taking to work for others. And another thing with the same idea is mason jars - other containers with the same size lids (or rather two of them) that I store more things in than plastic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

JesBelle wrote:
Dude, how much pressure are you exerting on these avocados? I almost never get slice-through, and when I do, I'm not pushing nearly hard enough to cut my hand.

Aha! Now I understand the difference in this advice.

I live in California. If I buy an avocado, the flesh is soft enough that I can slice it using only the weight of the knife ... with a butterknife. So avoiding slicing through the skin requires some delicacy. I think y'all in the rest of the country (except maybe Frank) are dealing with MUCH firmer (and less ripe) avocados.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:14 am 

Most avocados sold here are rock hard and have to sit on the counter until they soften. How I'm going to use them determines how I remove the flesh. I slice them in the shell and sometimes dice them in the shell. I've never cut myself and I use whatever knife is handy. I do think you get neater slices if you slice them in the shell. If I'm going to mash them, I just remove the flesh with a spoon.

My father was from San Francisco and he cut them in half, removed the seed, sprinkled on a little s&p, added a dash of tobasco, and ate them out of the shell. His cousin would send a shoebox full every once in a while and that was a real treat as you couldn't find one any place in the Midwest.

Does anybody still put toothpicks in the seed, balance it on a glass of water, wait for the seed to root and then plant it? Can't tell you how many of those I've done.

fitzie

Last edited by fitzie on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35 am 

Josh,

People outside of California can buy ripe avocados, which have soft skins. I simply prefer to slice my avocados in the skin. It's super fast and easy. And, I eat about 3-4 avocados a week.

Amy

P.S. I store my avocados in the fridge...they hold better since I only get to my big market once a week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 am 

fitzie wrote:

My father was from San Francisco and he cut them in half, removed the seed, sprinkled on a little s&p, added a dash of tobacco, and ate them out of the shell.

fitzie

Surely you meant to write 'tabasco'?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:32 am 

So right. Tobasco it is. Auto correct got me again.

fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:01 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
JesBelle wrote:
Dude, how much pressure are you exerting on these avocados? I almost never get slice-through, and when I do, I'm not pushing nearly hard enough to cut my hand.

Aha! Now I understand the difference in this advice.

I live in California. If I buy an avocado, the flesh is soft enough that I can slice it using only the weight of the knife ... with a butterknife. So avoiding slicing through the skin requires some delicacy. I think y'all in the rest of the country (except maybe Frank) are dealing with MUCH firmer (and less ripe) avocados.

Oh the superiority of San Franciscan produce, that totally explains it. It has nothing to do with going at a poor innocent avocado with such ummm... exuberance that you slice right through the soft flesh, the tough skin, and your hand with a butter knife?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:09 am 

:D :D :D

Um, get the point Josh? ;)

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next