Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't rinse your chicken
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:08 pm 

I actually enjoyed these videos on why rinsing a chicken before cooking it is a bad idea - and I have to admit, I buy into their argument:

http://drexel.edu/dontwashyourchicken/

Post subject: Re: Don't rinse your chicken
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:29 pm 

Lindsay,

I do too. I feel compelled to bleach my sink if I rinse out my chicken before roasting it. Now I just put the bagged chicken into a plastic grocery bag with the metal clip side up, cut the chicken bag enough to get the chicken out of it, and lift it out into the roasting pan. The juice in the bag remains contained, the drips are minimized between bag and roasting pan, and I can pull out the giblets, blot, and do the rest in the pan itself. The grocery bag gets tied and put into the trash and the counters are the only thing needing sanitizing which is much easier than the whole sink.

That said, I feel horribly guilty each and every time as in my head I'm violating the prime directive of high school home economics classes and serving my family invisible feces on a plate (which is why we were told to rinse...as if a splash of cold water was enough to make that right). In hindsight, I'm really not sure what the point of those home ec classes were...I can't say that they taught me how to do anything except make a milkshake, sew a useless pillow, and contaminate every surface of my kitchen via rinsing my chicken.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:05 pm 

You got to make milkshakes and pillows? Jeez. We had to make dill pickles and aprons.

fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:07 pm 

purses out of a pair of jeans and welsh rarebit are all I remember.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:35 pm 

See, dill pickles and welsh rarebit would be handy. We made milkshakes and the rest of our 'meal planning' seemed to involve heating up hot dogs, cooking frozen hamburger patties, oh....and one soufflé. The last one was when we had a sub. The chicken rinsing was part of a movie we were shown. We were never allowed to come close to a real chicken. Now that I think about it, maybe my regular Home Ec teacher had given up on us as a whole, and had decided that as a generation we were going to live on reheated hot dogs and assorted other crap and was simply preparing us for our future life in a dorm room.

My pillow btw was a misshapen C. Made out of fabric scraps from my mother's scrap bag and sewn without any semblance of finesse. I also made a completely unwearable 'outfit' from a pattern catalogue that was a jumpsuit with tie flaps at the shoulders, an elastic waist, and tie flaps again at the bottom of the legs, made again entirely out of scrap fabric that was white with a floral background, and see-through in bright light. You had to pull it on like overalls, and then tie the shoulders shut to keep it up. So weird. Why do those patterns always look like something from the 60's? Inquiring minds want to know! (is that the last time sewing from home was popular?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:11 pm 

Purses out of jeans? When I took Home Ec girls didn't even wear jeans.

fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm 

And for another perspective, check this out: http://ruhlman.com/2013/08/bacteria-run-away-run-away/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:30 pm 

Yeah, Ruhlman (as well as Alton) seems to be missing the point - the chicken becomes sterile in the oven but the kitchen surfaces don't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:47 am 

One of the commenters on Ruhlman's post made an interesting point: "When I read this “Don’t Wash Your Chicken” story, I immediately thought “If the problem with washing a chicken in the sink is that the splashing water gives bacteria from the chicken a chance to hitch rides on tiny droplets of water, doesn’t that mean I also shouldn’t wash my hands in the sink after handling the chicken? It’s the same bacteria and the same water pressure and the same sink! A good beam of sunlight is all it takes to prove that washing your hands makes the same fine mist.”