Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Making ravioli, agnolotti
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:17 pm 

Inspired by this thread, tonight I made.....manicotti. Using storebought lasagne. sigh. But I swear I will try these recipes and tips soon! On my new stove :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 am 

I'd like to ask about how people store their ravioli. I made a batch this weekend, using a friend's ravioli form. They came out well, if a little air-filled. I poked and prodded and got most of them ship-shape and froze them on cookie sheets. Today, I tried to vac seal them and since I wasn't watching on the first bag, I destroyed about half of them by crushing them. Which, you know, makes complete sense. I just didn't think about it. The second and third bags were better because I was watching, and was more gentle, but there were still some causalities. Extremely rage inducing.

So, obviously vac sealing for later use isn't the answer. How do the rest of you store frozen homemade ravioli?

Thanks,

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 am 

ldkelley wrote:
So, obviously vac sealing for later use isn't the answer.

I have a true vacuum chamber, so I'm speaking from my own experience. Ravioli can be vac sealed, but it completely depends on the capability of your equipment. Most FoodSavers (can I assume this is what you have?) have pulse option, so you don't crush foods.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:55 am 

I lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze, then I put in a freezer bag and get as much air out as possible. I don't even thaw them out when I want to use them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 am 

Amy wrote:
ldkelley wrote:
So, obviously vac sealing for later use isn't the answer.

I have a true vacuum chamber, so I'm speaking from my own experience. Ravioli can be vac sealed, but it completely depends on the capability of your equipment. Most FoodSavers (can I assume this is what you have?) have pulse option, so you don't crush foods.

Amy

I do have a FoodSaver and I don't have a "pulse" button but I will drag out the manual and look at it. I do have a "gentle" option, which is what I used for the second and third bag but it still was hard on the hard frozen dough. Thanks.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 am 

gardnercook wrote:
I lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze, then I put in a freezer bag and get as much air out as possible. I don't even thaw them out when I want to use them.

I would have thought they would get freezer burned in short order just in a ziploc, but that is probably better than crushed. :/

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm 

I also have a little hand held vacuum sealer... As long as they are pre frozen, they don't get crushed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:03 pm 

I also have a Foodsaver that I use a lot (I discovered the canister option recently and am really loving it), but for frozen ravioli, I do the same as Ilene. But one thing I also do often when freezing stuff in zipper bags is to zip up the bag almost completely and put a straw in the small opening. Then I suck the air out of the bag and slide out the straw and seal the bag in the same motion, so to speak. It's amazing how much air you can get out of a bag when you've perfected the technique, and it works well for things that aren't suitable for pressure sealing.

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:36 pm 

My food saver has a little hand held attachment (used with the wine sealer cord) that I use on canister for delicate things. It goes slowly and keeps rolls, etc. from being crushed. I love it for the food saver zip bags that I use for fridge things like my homemade salami and cheeses. The advantages a ziploc with air seal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 pm 

I freeze and use my food saver. Mine has a 'seal' button beside the 'vacuum and seal' button. You use it to make the bags, and then for fragile things, you let the vacuum and seal function go until most of the air is out and then you hit the seal button mid suck which stops the vacuum function and seals off the bag. It's great for fragile things like cookies and ravioli, wet things like marinades, and meat that isn't frozen (so you don't suck all the juice out). You won't get all the air out, but enough and it won't crush things. I'd be a little surprised if your model doesn't do this unless it's one of the ones that won't let you make your own bags.

You can also make little trays with cardboard and use them in the food saver bag which helps prevent crushing (works well with hors d'oeuvres) or even a small plate. I've done casserole dishes in a big foodsaver bag too when I've been making things ahead. Those disposable aluminum foil pans might work too if you could find some small ones.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next