Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pasta time management
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:09 pm 

Jean,

I've been looking at that for a long time. Do you have one?

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 pm 

I don't but a blog I like mentioned it a few years back and every time I see it I want one. http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2009/ ... p-by-step/
They are no longer $20!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:45 am 

Have any of you used a ravioli attachment? They have them for both the Atlas and the Kitchenaid and that could sway me to machine rolled pasta. I hate making ravioli. I find it messy and time consuming. But the machines look too good to be true and reviews are mixed.

Atlas attachment

KitchenAid attachment

Thanks,

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 am 

I had, and got rid of, a ravioli attachment. It was worse than useless. The ravioli never sealed right, I didn't like the amount of filling that it produced, and it was in general a PITA. FWIW I do not think it was not the brand you linked to (althought I do have an Atlas pasta roller).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 am 

I don't use an attachment. I just make them the old fashioned way.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:28 am 

I think I must need training. Mine never seal as well as I would like. :)

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:11 pm 

I prefer my KitchenAid rollers over my Atlas hand crank one. The Atlas gave good service for more than 5 years, but the KA is just faster and easier, and the results might even be better (I get smoother, more cooperative dough if I machine roll it than if I hand crank it).

I have often looked at the ravioli attachment. I hate making it by hand, even with the forms that I have (Italian grocers sell them). If anyone tries it and likes it, I'd be curious to hear about it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40 pm 

fitzie wrote:
I haven't made ravioli in ages. What filling did you use Emilie?

fitzie

Sorry, I just saw this, Fitzie. Actually my go-to recipe for ravioli filling is Emeril's lasagne filling, which is ricotta, provolone, mozz, romano, plus egg, milk, basil, garlic and pepper. I typically do two dishes when I make homemade pasta for company, and with the cheese ravioli, I'm covered if someone doesn't eat meat. I used to use a recipe for 4-cheese ravioli that had cream cheese rather than ricotta, but then one time I had leftover lasagne filling that I'd frozen and so used it and it was perfect. All I do for the sauce is heat some cream in a skillet and add a cube or two of pesto I've thawed, and then when the raviolis are done I just strain them from the pasta water right into the skillet. That keeps them warm until they're all done, and then I just sprinkle some parm on top of each serving.

So none of that is very creative -- I've done some neat ones in the past that I thought were delicious -- like sage and butternut squash, or shrimp and crab, and a red pepper sauce, but my family's tastes are pretty basic. (e.g., for dessert on Friday I made Bouchons (for the first time) and homemade raspberry ice cream, and I thought it was all delicious and our guests ate it up but DH and kids didn't like the ice cream. They'd all rather have mint chocolate chip from a Breyer's container :x

And Amy, I'm proud to report that I prevailed in the fight for the raviolis the next day -- my daughter scored the leftover Penne Rustica (restaurant copycat recipe that is soooooo delicious). Now as long as we don't get on the scale for a while we'll be fine!

Emilie

Edit: I can't believe I almost forgot -- my favorite ravioli filling of all time is this one. It is flat-out amazing although of course quite rich. But I typically don't make it for company because not everyone likes corn, and also b/c corn is so expensive out of season. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/corn-star-raviolis-in-sweet-basil-cream-sauce-recipe/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:58 pm 

jeanf wrote:
I don't but a blog I like mentioned it a few years back and every time I see it I want one. http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2009/ ... p-by-step/
They are no longer $20!

Oh my gosh. Have any of you looked at that blog and clicked on their Umbria farmhouse link? They rent it out six months of the year and the rest of the year they live here in the U.S. WOW. I know where I want to live after I die and go to heaven :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:58 pm 

Emilie, your go to filling for raviolis very similar to mine. I've made a few different ones but always go back to this one..
fitzie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next