Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Pasta time management
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

Lisa,

Fingers crossed for you. Let us know when you know.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:20 pm 

Good luck with it, Lisa. We are thinking of you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:21 pm 

One more pasta p.s. -- I "taught" (using that word very loosely) a pasta workshop at a retreat on Saturday, and because I knew some, if not most, of the women in it wouldn't have pasta rollers, I found an ATK recipe for pasta made without a machine. (Well actually it does use a FP for the dough, but after that it's all by hand.) Anyway, it was really quite easy and the pasta was very good. If anyone's interested, here's their video:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=35740

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 pm 

Thanks all. This will go on for 9 months, so it is really hard to say. But I very much appreciate the good thoughts.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:21 am 

Amy wrote:
My method for making lasagna is certainly not unique. And this can be made to accommodate any size casserole dish, it really just depends on how much you want to make. I typically use an 8x8 dish, because it’s only the two of us. Just know you don’t need a lot per person, as this is very, very rich.

Question on using fresh pasta for lasagna - can you make it ahead? I have all my ingredients for lasagna on Friday either thawing, resting or cooking but I would love to make it today and bake it on Friday - that's about 48 hours. Will the lovely, light, whisper thin homemade lasagna noodles stand up to that?

I have a super tiny kitchen and would rather get it done than have folks trying to help in my limited space. And I'd rather spend time with them than disappear for two hours to roll, boil and assemble.

Thanks,

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:49 am 

If you have the time, I'd recommend assembling the whole lasagna ahead, and then baking when you're planning to serve. (Make sure you build in at least a half hour for resting out of the oven.) But, yes, you can make the pasta ahead. Just make sure to dry it thoroughly. It will take a hair's breadth more time to cook when you boil prior to assembly, but not an issue.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:23 am 

Amy, thanks. That is actually what I meant. I was hoping that the pasta wouldn't fall apart if I assembled ahead, so that is what I will do today.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:52 pm 

Well, the lasagna is done and in the fridge. It took hours because the pasta fought me every step of the way, tearing in chunks down the middle when it went through the roller. I probably ended up adding 50% more flour than I started with after the rest period. I am not sure what I was doing wrong, but each quarter of recipe I was trying to roll (I doubled the recipe) took more than an hour to finally get smooth and glossy.

I'm exhausted and I haven't even made pies for tomorrow yet. I probably should have done that first. ;)

I think you are all right that it is going to be a PITA to get a slice out of this pan, but it certainly looks impressive. There are only six of us for dinner on Friday - I am sure there will be leftovers!

--Lisa

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 pm 

Looks scrumptious!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:35 am 

The lasagna was a hit! I fed six people and we ate less one quarter of the pan. I have another crew coming over for leftovers on Wednesday. We actually got the first and subsequent pieces out nicely. I need to do a better job of draining the noodles on the towels before building - I had some residual water in the pan and the pieces kind of spread on the plate. I was in a hurry by that time because of the extra time I spent on the pasta. However, it was quite good. Thanks for all the tips!

--Lisa

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7