Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pesto
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:13 pm 

Thanks Alina! You're the best!

I wonder if the lemon is a good addition. Anyone give it a go yet?

Edit: now, better to make pesto in a FP or the vitamix....anyone have any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:39 pm 

I use Marcella Hazan's "Food Processor Pesto" recipe. It's basic but also very good. Let me know if you want her recipe.

fitzie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:43 pm 

Fitzie,

That would be great! I went from no basil to a 3 foot high 2 foot diameter plant needing to be harvested. I have lots to experiment with!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

Here it is.

Pesto by the Food Processor Method by Marcella Hazan
6 servings

For the processor:
2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup extra virgin oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts
2 garlic cloves finely chopped before putting in the processor
Salt

For completing by hand:
1/2 cup freshly grated parmigano-reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons freshly grated romano cheese
3 tablespoons butter softened to room temperature

1-1/2 pounds pasta

Soak and wash the basil in cold water and gently pat it thoroughly dry with paper towels.

Put the basil, olive oil, pine nuts, chopped garlic and an ample pinch of salt in the processor bowl and process to uniform creamy consistency.

Transfer to a bowl and mix in the two grated cheeses by hand. It is worth the extra effort to do it by hand to obtain the notably superior texture it produces. When the cheese has been evenly amalgamated with the other ingredients, mix in the softened butter, distributing it uniformly into the sauce.

When spooning the pesto over pasta, dilute is slightly with a tablespoon or two of the hot water in which the pasta was cooked.

Freezing Pesto: Make the sauce with the food processor method through to the end of step 2 and freeze without cheese and butter in it. Add the cheese and butter when thawed just before using.

Note: I always make the full recipe but I only use about 1/2 pound of pasta adding enough pesto for that amount of pasta and storing the rest in the fridge in a glass jar with about a tablespoon of olive poured over. It keeps for 2-3 weeks but normally doesn't last that long. Our favourite summer meal is penne with pesto, Italian sausage, and sliced tomatoes. Sometimes a green salad. We have this at least once a week.

fitzie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:59 pm 

I would use the food processor. I think it gives you better control over the texture and is easier to get out and pour in more oil, lemon etc if needed. I grate my cheese in it first, take it our, then chop the garlic if needed and then proceed with the recipe, only one cleaning. CI recommends sort of smushing the basil first, so I've been doing that regardless of recipe. Also found that personally, roasted garlic is not garlicky enough for me.
I think the lemon will be a nice counterpart to the oil. Since my lime tree is producing, I will probably use a bit of lime instead. Can always add more at the end.

Got more pistachios at Costco today, so tomorrow I'll make a batch. We finished one yesterday with Costco tortellini. Just added a bit of garlic olive oil, more toasted pine nuts and a bit of fresh basil.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:52 pm 

Thanks Fitzie & Alina! Tomorrow is pesto day!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

As a tip ... Double the garlic, but roast it first.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:21 am 

My sister came over last night and we made about 4 cups of Pesto. I have more Basil to use, but what we made last night, I let her take home. Our first batch was traditional with Pine Nuts. We used Pistachios for the Second and toasted almonds for the Third. My favorite was the one made with Pistachios.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:24 pm 

After harvesting I ended up with 15 cups of basil. So first I made a batch of Marcella Hazan's version, and then I made one with my regular recipe (Ina Garten's). I much prefer Marcella Hazan's recipe. Ina's is too much of everything, even when I reduce the garlic, salt, and oil. In contrast the Marcella Hazan's recipe is really nicely balanced. So I ended up making another 4 batches of the Marcella Hazan's recipe with the ingredients I had left (yay Costco giant block of Parmesan and huge bag of pine nuts!). I ran out of energy to try the pistachio version, but I have half a basil plant left (today was just pruning and not harvesting), so will try it next. I love having my freezer stocked with pesto over the winter when fresh herbs are pricey.

On another note, does anyone have any tips for drying or otherwise preserving fresh thyme, sage and rosemary? My crops have done well and won't winter over in the house.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:13 pm 

Haven't done this for a while but I used to wash the thyme and rosemary and spread them on a table to dry. When dry, I bundled them up and hung them in the garage to dry or sometimes I got lazy and just laid them out and let them dry that way.After they dried, I stripped the leaves from the branches and stored them in glass jars. You have to be certain they are completely dry before putting them in the glasses as they can get moldy. Don't think I've ever done anthing with sage as I'm not too crazy about it.

fitzie