Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade Ice Cream
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:32 pm 

I plan to make vanilla ice cream with a custard base and I'm hoping it won't be rock hard like my other ice cream recipes. I've heard about putting 2 tsp of Vodka into the recipe to prevent the hardening but I didn't want any taste of alcohol. Or maybe I wouldn't be able to detect the taste with only 2 tsp in a quart. Any ideas? Thanks!

Lu

Post subject: Re: Homemade Ice Cream
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:39 pm 

Lu,

If you don't quit posting all this good stuff with those incredible pictures I'm gonna weigh 300 lbs. :cry: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:04 pm 

Lol! :D Here's some more food pics to add to your waistline...

Aloha,
Lu

Blackout Cake

The Best Chocolate Cake I've made....so good.

Chicken Pot Pie

Chocolate Pop Tart

Popovers

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm 

Lu,

Nice photos as always!

Vodka is best for retarding ice crystals in fruit-based ice cream. One thing you can try in something like vanilla is adding a little corn syrup (which as an invert sugar and helps to prevent crystallization, hence making the product smoother).

Amy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 pm 

Thanks Amy, I did use an ice cream recipe with corn syrup and it resulted in a rock hard ice cream....although it was not custard based. Have you tried the vodka?

Lu

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:11 pm 

I've only used vodka for fruit-based custard ice creams.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:50 pm 

Lu
I use a recipe by Jeni....I tried to post it here for you but didn't have any luck, so just google, "Jeni's ice cream recipe" and it will be there. It has a little cornstarch and a little cream cheese in it (not detectable in taste) and is the best vanilla ice cream I have ever made....no crystallization and lasts in the freezer for months. It does get hard, but I let it sit at room temp for a few minutes and it returns to a great creamy ice cream. I use the base recipe for everything now and substitute the vanilla flavoring for other flavors and it does not alter the texture.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:36 pm 

I second Jeni's recipes.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:30 pm 

Hey Lu. This is the traditional custard vanilla recipe I typically make and I've never noticed it getting super hard. And actually when I'm making it to go with something, I like it to be at least firm enough to form a nice scoop in advance. I put the scoops into a separate container and then it's easy to pull it out of the freezer and drop a scoop onto each plate or bowl. The last time I did that it was warm blackberry cobbler and the vanilla ice cream just started to melt when I put it on. Then it was a delicious cacophony of gooey cobbler and ice cream and vanilla sauce. Mmmmmmmmm. :D

And BTW, your photos are awesome (in addition to the subject matter, of course). What camera/lens are you using? You've got some serious bokeh!

Emilie

P.S. I think I'm the only person on the planet who didn't care for the Jeni's vanilla recipe. Something about the consistency just seemed weird.

Delicious Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

3 cups half-and-half
2 cup sugar

8 to 9 large egg yolks

3 cups heavy cream

Heat half-and-half and 2 cups sugar in a separate saucepan over low heat, adding vanilla “caviar” to the mixture. (You can also drop in the scraped vanilla bean, just to extract all the flavor. Discard before moving to the next step.) Turn off heat when mixture is totally heated.

Add heavy cream to a separate bowl.

Beat egg yolks by hand or with an electric mixer until yolks are pale yellow and slightly thick.

Temper the egg yolks by slowly drizzling in 1 1/2 cups of hot half-and-half mixture, whisking constantly. After that, pour the egg yolk/half-and-half mixture into the pan containing the rest of the half-and-half mixture. Cook over low to medium-low heat (depending on how hot your stove gets) until quite thick, stirring constantly. Drain custard using a fine mesh strainer, then pour into the bowl with the cream. Stir to combine.

Chill mixture completely, then freeze in an ice cream maker until thick. Place container in freezer to harden for at least eight hours.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 pm 

Lu1, we tried a number of custard based recipes and settled on CI's version for its smoothness. It uses a small amount of corn syrup, which some object to, but we have made piece ... err ... peace with it. Primary sweetener is regular sugar. If you need the recipe, just let me know, I still have the standard membership on their website.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines