Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Breakfast make aheads for teens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:01 pm 

Hello, is the Overnight French Toast the same as the French Toast Casserole? I am not finding an Overnight recipe for French Toast and the Casserole is Editor's Choice which I continue to decline paying CI for.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:07 am 

I have the casserole recipe copied from TBMA. Would you like me to post it for you? There is also a Make Ahead French Toast in the July 2009 issue of Cooks Country. I have that one as well. I've not made either, but I tested the regular french toast recipe in the CI 1/2009 issue and its one of the best I've ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:28 am 

Please share the Make Ahead recipe. Thank you very much!

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 am 

Tatoosh, it's on the baking forum, I'm about to comment in it. These muffins rock..

Did not make the bacon, the kids were literally up all night. Lessons learned, confiscate all cell phones or ban them from being brought. The boy and girl tents were texting back and forth and it took several attempts to get them all. :evil: And God bless those of you with girls...they don't sleep! :shock: At 4:15 I threatened to move 2 of them into my tent and take their place, which at least quieted them down. :lol:

Kids had muffins, pancakes (Krusteaz mix, Darcie's are so much better but this was convenient), fruit salad and granola with yogurt. All in all a success although I would never do this again. Ever. Remind me that in two years when child #2 is graduating and wants a campout. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:32 pm 

But as my mother used to say, you've earned another star for your crown!

fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 am 

Tatoosh wrote:
Hello, is the Overnight French Toast the same as the French Toast Casserole? I am not finding an Overnight recipe for French Toast and the Casserole is Editor's Choice which I continue to decline paying CI for.

The French Toast Casserole I was thinking of was from the 2012 Holiday Baking Guide. I am not sure it is the same as the one from TBMA. I will try to find my copy :oops: and get you the recipe. It was really good.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:01 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Tatoosh, it's on the baking forum, I'm about to comment in it. These muffins rock..

Did not make the bacon, the kids were literally up all night. Lessons learned, confiscate all cell phones or ban them from being brought. The boy and girl tents were texting back and forth and it took several attempts to get them all. :evil: And God bless those of you with girls...they don't sleep! :shock: At 4:15 I threatened to move 2 of them into my tent and take their place, which at least quieted them down. :lol:

Kids had muffins, pancakes (Krusteaz mix, Darcie's are so much better but this was convenient), fruit salad and granola with yogurt. All in all a success although I would never do this again. Ever. Remind me that in two years when child #2 is graduating and wants a campout. :D

But these are the essential ingredients of a successful teen camp out! And better texting than sneaking out for some hot-n-heavy sexytimes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 pm 

If I would slow down and read, I'd learn so much more. Cooks Country ... well, of course it is not available in the CI site. Sorry for not paying more attention to your post, Cubangirl.

JeanF, I've tried the search feature but not found the Make Ahead French Toast in the baking section. Was that the recipe you were referencing in your post? Is it under a different name?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:38 am 

So you can compare, here are the ones I have.
EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

Do not substitute low-fat or skim milk for the whole milk in this recipe. Walnuts can be substituted for the pecans. Be sure to use supermarket-style loaf bread with a thin crust and fluffy crumb; artisan loaves with a thick crust and chewy crumb don’t work well here. The casserole needs to sit in the refrigerator, well covered, for at least 8 hours in order to achieve the desired consistency, and it can be made up to 24 hours in advance.

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Servings: 8

Preparation: 30 minutes Cooking: 1 hour and 30 minutes Inactive: 8 hours Total Time: 10 hours

CASSEROLE:
16 oz. bread , torn into 1" pieces
1 TBS. unsalted butter , softened
8 large eggs
2½ cups whole milk
1½ cups heavy cream
1 TBS. granulated sugar
2 tsps. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
TOPPING:
4 oz. unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
1⅓ cups light brown sugar (9⅓ oz.)
3 TBS. light corn syrup
2 cups pecans , chopped coarse

FOR THE CASSEROLE:
Adjust 2 oven racks to the upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat the oven to 325° F. Spread the bread out over 2 baking sheets and bake until dry and light golden brown, about 25 minutes, switching and rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking time. Let the bread cool completely.

Coat a 13" X 9" baking dish with the butter and pack the dried bread into the dish. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until combined and then whisk in the milk, cream, granulated sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread and press on the bread lightly to submerge.

FOR THE TOPPING:
Stir the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup together until smooth, then stir in the pecans.

TO STORE:
Transfer the topping to an airtight container and wrap the dish tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the topping and casserole separately for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.

TO SERVE:
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350° F. Unwrap the casserole and sprinkle the topping evenly over the top, breaking apart any large pieces with your fingers. Place the casserole on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and golden, about 1 hour. Serve immediately.

Recipe Type: Bread, Breakfast and Brunch Foods, Cooks Illustrated, The Best Make Ahead Recipe

Source: The Best Make-Ahead Recipe .
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes ... ocid=21916

Serving idea: Why this recipe works: Testing for our French toast casserole recipe began with bread. We found that French and Italian loaves, with their dense texture and thin, chewy crust, worked best. We also found during our tests that the French toast casserole recipe was best when we “staled” the bread in a moderately hot oven, allowing it to toast slightly before assembling the dish. For the custard, we settled on eight whole eggs and a little less than twice as much whole milk as heavy cream, which gave us a rich and custardy but not cloying result. This was breakfast after all, not dessert.

MAKE-AHEAD FRENCH TOAST

Firm, high-quality white sandwich bread, such as Arnold Country White or Pepperidge Farm Hearty White, works best here.

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Preparation: 15 minutes Cooking: 20 minutes Inactive: 10 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes

4 TBS. unsalted butter
2 cups half-and-half
2 large eggs
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 TBS. all-purpose flour
2 TBS. vanilla extract
2 tsps. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
8 slices hearty white sandwich bread

MAKE CUSTARD
Heat butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat until golden brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Off heat, whisk in half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt; transfer to 13" X 9" baking dish.

PREPARE BREAD
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat broiler. Set wire rack inside rimmed baking sheet. Arrange bread on rack and broil until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Decrease oven temperature to 350°F. Soak half of toast slices in custard mixture until just saturated, about 30 seconds per side. Return soaked bread to rack and repeat with remaining toast. Bake until center of bread registers 160° F. on an instant-read thermometer, about 8 minutes.

FREEZE
Let toast cool on rack 10 minutes and then freeze until firm, about 30 minutes. Transfer slices to Ziploc freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month. When ready to eat, toast in toaster on medium power until heated through. Serve.

Recipe Type: Bread, Breakfast and Brunch Foods, Cooks Country, Make-Ahead

Source: Cooks Country 7/2009
Web Page: http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/Mak ... =M00KSCM00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:13 am 

Thank you very much, Cubangirl! They look like treasure chests of flavor. I am leaning toward the MA version.