Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chocolate Flan Cake
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:28 am 

Has anyone made the Cooks Country chocolate flan cake from the 12/1/2013 issue? I am thinking DH might like since he loves both those flavors. For just the 2 of us, I need to cut the recipe in half, so I want to bake it in a Pyrex rectangular pan instead of a 12 cup bundt. I am concerned about the baking time, since it will be thinner. I am also using homemade caramel sauce and my mom's flan recipe instead of the one with condensed milk, which makes flan inedible for me (way too sweet). So if anyone has made this cake, or has any suggestions. I'd appreciate them. TIA

Post subject: Re: Chocolate Flan Cake
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 am 

Alina,

I made that for our Christmas dessert, and everyone loved it! However, the 12 c bundt pan I used, as the recipe indicated, was too small - I just made a mini loaf pan to use the rest. So maybe an 8 c pan would be good for half. Also, I made some goat's milk cajeta for the caramel, which was absolutely delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:34 pm 

Thanks Dave, I've made dulce de leche from scratch, i.e. without using condensed milk and it was great, but took forever. I assume the cajeta would be similar, but would you share the recipe? I think I could find goat's milk at the natural foods store here. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:46 pm 

Ooooooh!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 pm 

Alina,

Here is the recipe I used. Unfortunately, none of the recipes gave exact temperatures - just vague instructions on how thick and dark it was to get. And here are four photos I took while making it.

It was very easy to make; even though time consuming, I really was only watching it closely at the end. And this made enough for the whole recipe, plus a little over 1/2 c extra.

Cajeta

1 qt goat's milk
1 c sugar
1 tb light corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 tb vanilla extract, or 3 tb brandy (I used the bean AND the brandy)
1/4 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 tb cold water

Combine the milk, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a heavy 4 qt saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the mixture, drop the rest of the bean in the mix, and place pot over med-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar (I found a wooden handled silicone spatula, which was great for this...otherwise, use a wooden spoon or spatula, leaving it in the pot). When it comes to a boil, remove from the heat, and carefully stir in the baking soda solution. Return to the heat, and reduce heat to medium, just to the point where it won't boil over, but is boiling actively (I set it on 4 on my induction burner, reducing to 3 toward the end). Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom. Eventually, it will begin to brown, and toward the end, when it turns a dark, golden color, and is as thick as corn syrup, remove from the heat (some recipes say this takes over an hour, but mine was done in just under 40 min., probably because I kept it just under the point of boiling too hard). Very carefully add the vanilla or brandy, if using, stirring to mix in, remove vanilla bean, then cool. I warmed up a wide-mouthed mason jar with some boiling water, dried it out, and poured the cajeta into it, to store it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 am 

Thanks so much Dave, got the goat milk tonight and will make it tomorrow. I assume you used it in place of the caramel and did the flan from the recipe.

I appreciate the tip about the volume. I may do it in 2 tall 9" rounds ( I don't own tall 8" pans) instead of one 9" X 13" Pyrex because I don't really have a plate big enough to turn that pan and would like a bit of a raised edge for the sauce. I could I guess invert it from one 9" X 13" onto another, but they are not identical. My favorite old one has straight sides whereas the newer one has a bit of a slope.

Will post if it turns out and will try to remember to take pictures as I go along.

PS, This is what I am using instead of the flan in the recipe, except I actually bought some whole milk, so might use that instead of the sub.
FLAN
8 X-large Whole Eggs
1/2 tsp. Salt
1½ cups Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
3¼ cups 1% Milk
1/4 cup heavy cream

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:15 pm 

Thanks for posting that Alina. I love flan and know your recipe has to be most authentic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:45 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
Thanks so much Dave, got the goat milk tonight and will make it tomorrow. I assume you used it in place of the caramel and did the flan from the recipe.

That's what I did. It didn't seem to sweet to anyone, but I'm sure your version for flan would be better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 pm 

Nancy, here's the entire recipe in case you want it. I doubled it for the Choco Flan Cake

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

FLAN***** Servings: 4-6

It can be made the regular way in a water bath, but we don't use that method as the PC is a lot quicker and almost foolproof. You just need to be sure the pan is small enough to fit inside the cooker. For the caramel, we just put the metal pan right on the stove to make the caramel, but you could use another pot and then transfer. This flan is my favorite dessert ever, I can eat the whole thing in one sitting is allowed. So the number of servings may be more. Here's a link to a flan mold for the pressure cooker. I use a now vintage, aluminum fluted Jello mold with a lid, so it is really pretty and super easy to slice, and I can make the caramel in it.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 12 hours
Total Time: 12 hours and 30 minutes

FOR CARAMEL:
½ cup sugar
1 TBS. water
FOR CUSTARD:
4 Whole Eggs (large or x-large)
¼ tsp. Salt
¾ cup Sugar
½ tsp. Vanilla
1¾ cup Milk

Prepare pressure cooker with rack and one to two cups water depending on cooker diameter,

FOR CARAMEL:

Sprinkle sugar with the water and melt together in mold at full heat first, then at 6. Don’t stir beyond the first mixing. When mixture changes to golden, move mold to coat sides. Take off the stove and let cool.

FOR CUSTARD:

Beat eggs first, until blended, stir in sugar until dissolved, then add salt, vanilla and finally the milk. Stir only until blended but not foamy. Pour custard mixture into prepared pan. Cover pan with foil or self-cover. Carefully place plan on rack in pressure cooker and close lid on cooker. Bring cooker to 15 Lbs. Of pressure and cook for 20 minutes maintaining 15 Lbs pressure. Let cool in cooker until pressure gone.

Cool completely and put in refrigerator, preferably overnight. To cool quickly, you can put it in freezer for no more than ½ hour. To serve, remove cover or foil and invert plan over soup type plate (you will need the high sides to accommodate the syrup.) Caramel, should loosen from pan and fall on flan. Scrape any caramel remaining in pan and put over flan. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Caramel, Cuban Food, Desserts, Flans, Custards and Puddings, Grandma Hilia, Pressure Cooker

Author: (Grandma Hilia’s recipe)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 pm 

Thanks to you and your grandma! I'm excited to try it!
Nancy