Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crème fraîche - keeping it going
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 am 

I bought some crème fraîche this past weekend, very overpriced. Before mixing it into the recipe I was using it for, I pulled out a tablespoon, stirred it into about 8 oz of heavy cream and set it on my counter and 24 hours later I had a nice little container of more crème fraîche.

My question is how far can I perpetuate this magic? If I get most of the way though the container, can I scrape some out into another clean jar and do it again? I assume just adding more cream would lead to eventual spoilage because the jar would get dirty (e.g., the sides of the jar where it had dried on after I spooned some out, etc.).

Suggestions, tips to increase the strength of the culture? Use it more often? Use it sparingly?

Thanks all,

--Lisa

Post subject: Re: Crème fraîche - keeping it going
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:13 am 

There is no need to buy crème fraîche. Simply mix about a cup (or less, or more) of heavy cream (preferably non UHT) with a tablespoon or so of buttermilk. Let sit for around 24 hours at room temp, and you've got crème fraîche.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 am 

I'll second Amy's thought with one caveat. Buy "pasteurized" cream with only two ingredients, CREAM and MILK.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 am 

Yes, I've been making it as needed with buttermilk for several years. But since I now have actual crème fraîche, which I believe it is slightly different culture, I am wondering the best way to perpetuate the well working culture I have.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am 

That's also how I make it, Amy. I have also tried the method of mixing 2-3 parts heavy cream to one part sour cream, but I didn't like that as much. I also got a culture specifically for creme fraiche, when I got some cheese supplies several years ago, but I did not like that as much as the simple buttermilk.

Lisa,

Though that culture I tried may have been different than yours, one thing I noticed was that it spoiled much faster (about 10 days) than the buttermilk version, which I have kept for months (not intentionally! :oops:) without it turning, probably due to a higher acid content.

Last edited by pepperhead212 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:43 am 

If you like the crème fraîche culture, I'd just keep milking (figuratively) for as long as you can. Most commercial cultures are pretty robust. You'll still save money in the long run, even if you have to buy another container of crème fraîche in a couple months.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 am 

I will consider it an experiment then. If it spoils in 10 days I certainly won't bother and will go back to the buttermilk version. I really like it's subtle tang over the other one I had been making, but I am not going to try to keep it up if it spoils.

I will let you all know. Thanks for the feedback.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:04 am 

I just found in my notes a suggestions to use the old to create the new. Unfortunately, it is old and I was not good about noting sources at that time.

My question is I've always used 1 TBS. buttermilk to 1 cup cream.ATK says 2 TBS. buttermilk to 1 cup cream. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 am 

Alina,

When I make it with buttermilk, I never actually measure it. I just pour some buttermilk into a glass jar and add the cream. I am sure I have made every version from 1 to 2 to 3 TBs of buttermilk and it has always worked for me. I think it might take longer to thicken with less buttermilk.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:18 pm 

I purchased some starter from Lehman's (lol almost typed Lehman Bros.--quite different) and I thought it was pretty good. I will try a side-by-side comparison to the buttermilk version and report back.