Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carbonnade a la Flamande which is better
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:04 am 

I was thinking of making this and seem to recall from a discussion on TOBB that there are 2 CI recipes, one being much better than the other. Assuming I am not completely confused (which happens), I would appreciate any feedback as to which is better and why. My memory is that one might have been in Cover and Bake and the other in the magazine, both old now. Anyway, I have access to both, or alternatively F&W has Pepin's as well. Have some beef I was going to use for something else, but this keeps popping in my mind. TIA

Forgot to add that I was thinking of making it in the PC.

Post subject: Re: Carbonnade a la Flamande which is better
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:56 am 

I always made the one in the magazine. Then, one day it fell to Geekboy to make the carbonnade. He didn't know there was one in the mag, but he came across the one in C&B. It was better. No idea how that translates to the PC, however.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 pm 

I make the one in C & B too (also in Best Slow and Easy). I think it's better because it has bacon in it, whereas the magazine doesn't. Also, IIRC, the magazine calls for Blade Steak, whereas the cookbooks have you use cut up chuck roast (or maybe that's just what I tend to do....). I also tend to skip the cider vinegar, and find that using Newcastle Brown Ale gives me the best results.

Can you tell I make this a lot? (it's DH's all time favourite thing). It freezes really well too.

If you convert it for the PC can you let me know how the timing works out? I've been meaning to convert it too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:08 pm 

Thanks Carey, but my copy of Cover and Bake does not call for bacon. It is pretty similar to that on the CI site except the C&B does not call for tomato paste. Both use top blade or flat iron. Could there be 3 recipes? or 2 editions of Cover and Bake (mine says 1st ed 1994). Here's the C&B recipe, maybe you could just tell me the changes. Thanks.

CARBONNADE À LA FLAMANDE CI C&B

Top blade steaks (also called blade or flatiron steaks) are our first choice, but any boneless roast from the chuck will work. If you end up using a chuck roast, look for the chuck eye roast, an especially flavorful cut that can easily be trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces. Buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes make excellent accompaniments to carbonnade. The traditional copper-colored Belgian ale works best in this stew. If you can't find one, choose another dark or amber-colored ale of your liking. This will keep up to 5 days in the fridge and can be frozen for 3 months.

Oven Temperature: 300°F

Servings: 8
Yield: 6-8

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes Total Time: 3 hours

3 lbs. 1" top blade steaks (up to 3½ lbs.)
2½ tsps. kosher salt divided
1 ground black pepper
3 TBS. vegetable oil
2 lbs. yellow onions (4)
2 garlic cloves (2 tsps.)
3 TBS. all-purpose flour
1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
1½ cups Newcastle Brown Ale (12 oz.)
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 bay leaves
1 TBS. dark brown sugar
1 TBS. cider vinegar

Trim gristle and fat from steaks and cut into 1"pieces. Halve onions and slice thinly. Mince or press garlic.

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 300° F. Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels, then season generously with salt and pepper. Put 1 TBS. oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat, until beginning to smoke; add about half the meat to pot so the individual pieces are close together but not touching. Cook without moving pieces until well browned, about 3 minutes; using tongs, turn each piece and continue cooking until second side is well browned, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer browned beef to medium bowl. Repeat with another TBS. of oil, swirl to coat bottom, and add remaining beef. (If drippings in bottom of pot are very dark, add about ½ cup of above-listed chicken broth and scrape pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits; pour liquid into bowl with browned beef, then proceed.)

Add remaining 1 TBS. oil to now-empty Dutch oven, swirl to coat bottom; reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions, ½ tsp. kosher salt, and tomato paste; cook, scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, until onions have released some moisture, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated.

Stir in broth, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits Gradually add the beer, stirring constantly and scraping pan edges to dissolve the flour. Add thyme, bay leaf, brown sugar, cider vinegar, browned beef with any accumulated juices, pushing beef down to submerge the pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, bring to simmer, cover and place pot in oven. Cook until fork inserted into beef meets little resistance, about 1½ to 2 hours.

Discard the bay leaf. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste and serve. (Can be cooled and refrigerated in airtight container for up to 4 days; reheat over medium-low heat.)

Recipe Type: Beef, Cooks Illustrated, Cover and Bake, Main Dish, Make-Ahead, Meat, Onions

Source: Cover and Bake page 151

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:31 pm 

Alina --

Your ingredients don't include tomato paste, but your directions do. Maybe you copied the directions from CI's website to save your self the typing? At least, that sounds like something I would do.

They are very similar recipes. The only difference is the presence of tomato paste in the magazine version and the presence of brown sugar in C&B. If I were a betting woman, I'd say the bacon probably comes from Best Slow and Easy. I think what makes the C&B version better is the absence of scorched tomato paste. I'm not sure when CI got onto this kick of adding tomato paste to everything, and adding it just when you start the onions. I scorch the stuff every time. Anyway, I never miss the tomato paste and I like the added depth and sweetness from the sugar. I pretty much always use grass-fed chuck rather than blade steaks and the beer I use is Chimay.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:02 pm 

This is the recipe I use (from my Dropbox file....I'll have to double check now which book iit's from...might be Slow and Easy):

Beef Carbonnade

3 ½ to 4 lbs stewing meat (chuck eye roast preferred)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 ounces bacon (4 slices)
4 medium onions (2 lbs)
2 medium garlic cloves
1 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp tomato paste
¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
¾ cup low sodium beef broth
2 cups beer (Newcastle Brown is best)
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp cider vinegar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:16 pm 

Yup, this is the slow and easy one. Dang, how many versions does CI need?!?

Meat is browned, bacon is rendered, onions cooked in the bacon fat (I caramelize them). Flour, spices, garlic & tomato paste go in, cook about 30 seconds (the ubiquitous 'until fragrant'). Add in liquid and bay leaf, braise until tender. Add vinegar if using (I don't), and a smidge of brown sugar if needed (to taste)...this is not in the recipe but is probably a hold over in my mind from the original recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm 

Now I want to try the Slow and Easy version, 'cause I'm all "Carbonnade with BACON! Yeah!"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:06 am 

cmd2012 wrote:
Dang, how many versions does CI need?!?

As many as they come up with superlatives for...

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:15 am 

Thank you so much JB and Carey. Yes, I did copy it from the site, forgot to delete paste from Procedure. I've changed the recipe add the bacon and the nutmeg and put the paste and vinegar as optional. I am going to do it in the 6 qt. pc, doing all the steps until oven, then sealing the pc and cooking for 20 minutes at 10, let pressure down naturally, open and see if tender enough for me. I am going to use the timing from my Cuban Beef Stew. Will post results. Thanks again.