Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morels , dried & smoked - need a recipe!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:48 am 

I have 4.5 ounces of dried & smoked morels which I am assured by the picker to be mighty fine (note to Tim, I have re-read your chanterelles story…). As I understand these to be very precious I would like a recipe recommend – PLEASE :!: :D

Or, will just any ol' morel recipe do and, if so, which one is greatest :?: :o

Post subject: Re: Morels , dried & smoked - need a recipe!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:50 pm 

I have never had a smoked morel. When you do decide what to do with them, let us know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:54 pm 

I don't have a recipe for you but one my favorite things to do with quality mushrooms is to sauté them in butter and olive oil with a diced shallot. Add some white wine and fresh lemon juice and a tad of pasta water....use as a sauce for pasta and top with fresh parsley and grated parm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 pm 

Morels are very big here and most often served in a light cream sauce, maybe some mild herbs like chervil. They tend to hold sand so need to be cleaned well. The soaking liquid is also usually used in the sauce. It is most often paired with veal.

I have never heard of smoked morels. Be sure to report back!

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:00 pm 

the only place I could find anything was for Pistol River Mushroom's online http://prg.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

He goes on to say,
Quote:
Because of the Morel shortage, these Morels have gone way up in price and to me they are not worth it. I will carry them again when they come down in price because I like their smoky flavor in some dishes. These are like no other Morels I have ever tasted. They are harvested in the Himalayan Mountains of Tibet and dried in wood fired ovens. That’s how they get their smoky flavor. Because they grow at a high altitude they have a thinner wall and dry very nicely. They re-hydrate very fast and are very much like a fresh Morel. Be sure to rinse them after soaking, because they grow in the wild they need to be rinsed before use. I am sure you will agree they have flavor to spare.
I have emailed for recipe clues.

I know that these came from the son of a client who works on Vancouver Island picking a wide variety of wild plants for the restaurant trade and that he smokes these himself.

Anyway, I love both pasta sauce ideas and will probably incorporate a bit of both. They smell fantastic :!:

I promise to report back. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:50 pm 

Wino,

There is no similar mushroom that is dangerous.

I've never had a smoked morel. It seems to be begging for a grilled steak. Lightly saute in butter and finish with cream, maybe cultured cream.

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 pm 

I have morels often, and my favorite is with scrambled eggs.
I save the soaking liquid for adding to mashed taters. I think smoked morels would be good in any morel recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 am 

Ina's Chicken with Morels is fantastic. I will be happy to post it for you or you can find it here

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:37 am 

I LOVE choices that involve mushroms - almost like university days. :shock: :lol:

Alina - that looks wonderful, though I was not thinking of using it as a main, this gives me some new ideas. Great reviews!!

We've set a supper date for Oct. 13 :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 pm 

Here are my comments from the first time I made it in case you might find them useful. I made extra sauce the second time.

"One of the best chicken dishes ever. DH kept saying just how good the sauce was. I think I over reduced it, but it was great. I ended up baking it in the Emile Henry, because I could use it on top of the stove, oven and then reheat in the microwave. I refrigerated it, and ended up reheating on the stove top. Not a great idea, since I put it on high to get the simmer going, but left to help DH with his Windows 7 install, and it was going strong when I remembered to return to lower the heat. The sauce reduced even more. It tasted great but DH had hoped to have more sauce for the rice. I had saved the morel liquid (thanks Tim) and just added about 3/4 cup to the pot and heated it. My 6 Costco breasts were big I seared and baked them whole, but cut them into quarters for the second reheat, so we have two more meals. This is definitely going to be one of my company dishes since it can be made the night before"