Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Almost full can of sweetened condensed milk - ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:01 am 

My DH was obviously disoriented this morning, we ran out of milk and instead of opening a can of evaporated milk for his coffee (or God forbid going to the corner store for milk) he opened a can of sweetened condensed milk. My guess is he took a tablespoon or so out.

I was thinking of making a half batch of pennie's caramels to use up the rest of the can, maybe taking out a tablespoon each of sugar and corn syrup.

Good/bad plan? Any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Almost full can of sweetened condensed milk - ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:36 am 

Triple Citrus Bars

Ingredients

Crust
5 ounces animal crackers
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar (light or dark)
Pinch table salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
Filling
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest, minced
Pinch table salt
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 egg yolk
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice, either Key lime or regular
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
Garnish (optional)
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted until golden and crisp

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Cut about 12-inch length extra-wide heavy-duty foil; fold cut edges back to form 7 1/2-inch width. With folded sides facing down, fit foil securely into bottom and up sides of 8-inch-square baking pan, allowing excess to overhang pan sides. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.

2. TO MAKE THE CRUST: In workbowl of food processor, pulse animal crackers until broken down, about ten 1-second pulses; process crumbs until evenly fine, about 10 seconds (you should have about 1 1/4 cups crumbs). Add brown sugar and salt; process to combine, ten to twelve 1-second pulses (if large sugar lumps remain, break them apart with fingers). Drizzle butter over crumbs and pulse until crumbs are evenly moistened with butter, about ten 1-second pulses. Press crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake until deep golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack while making filling. Do not turn off oven.

3. TO MAKE THE FILLING: While crust cools, in medium bowl, stir cream cheese, zests, and salt with rubber spatula until softened, creamy, and thoroughly combined. Add sweetened condensed milk and whisk vigorously until incorporated and no lumps of cream cheese remain; whisk in egg yolk. Add juices and whisk gently until incorporated (mixture will thicken slightly).

4. TO ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Pour filling into crust; spread to corners and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until set and edges begin to pull away slightly from sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cover with foil and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.

5. Loosen edges with paring knife and lift bars from baking pan using foil extensions; cut bars into 16 squares. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if using, and serve. (Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 2 days; crust will soften slightly. Let bars stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:39 am 

Aam Ki Kulfi

1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 ¼ cups whipping cream
15 ounces canned mango pulp
2 - 3 drops kewra essence (optional)
5 cardamom pods
1 tablespoon slivered blanched almonds
1 tablespoon chopped blanched pistachios

1. In a large bowl combine the milk, mango pulp, and kewra essence. Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods, grind the seeds coarsely, and add to the mango mixture.

2. In a separate bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks. Fold 1/3 of the cream into the mango mixture. Add the rest of the cream in two portions, folding each portion into the mixture.

3. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and freeze for about 8 hours. Garnish with nuts before serving.

I doubt the missing tablespoon would matter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:40 pm 

I'd make these. In fact I think I will make these later today. My microwave will take an 9" X 13" Pyrex pan, but you can make in a smaller one as well.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

6 LAYER BARS*****

Can use all butter and regular or low fat grahams, regular, low or skim condensed milk. I use the mini chocolate chips, but can use regular. I prefer pecans, but can use walnut or another nut.

Servings: 8 Yield: One 9 X 13 pan.

3 oz. Butter
1 oz. coconut oil
10 squares graham cracker (low fat ok) crumbs (about 1 cup)
1 cup chopped pecans (or other nut)
12 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips (mini)
1 cup shredded coconut
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk

In a 9" X 13" Pyrex pan (original was for 7" X 10") melt butter and coconut oil in microwave about 90 seconds until just melted. Grind crackers in mini processor or blender and spread over the butter/oil combination.

Add enough finely chopped nuts (I prefer pecans) until the bottom is covered, pressing down, then enough semi-sweet chips to thoroughly cover the nuts ( I prefer the minis because I better coverage and they melt more easily I think, but use others if I don't have minis) and press again. I use whatever coconut I have on hand sometimes flaked, sometimes shredded and just take chunks and spread evenly over the chocolate until covered and press again. Finally I use the condensed milk.

Bake them in the microwave on high for about 8-10 minutes depending on microwave. I have a turntable, so I don't have to shift the pan, but on a stationary one, I would reposition the pan after 5 minutes to cook evenly. If you like them crispy cook them longer. The condensed milk will continue to cook after taken out of microwave, so if it fully browns in microwave, it will be harder after it cools instead of gooey.

These are always a big hit. I find that by pressing down on each layer, they stay together nicely when you cut them. I have never had these turn out badly and they go very fast whenever I serve them.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Inactive Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Chocolate, Coconut, Cookies, Desserts, Microwave Dish, Pecans

Author: Mine
Source: Chicago Tribune 1976

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

Brigadaros. Brazilian fudge like candies. I made some last Easter. Some with coconut and others chocolate with sea salt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:02 pm 

I'm with Alina, although we always made seven layer bars...simply add butterscotch chips.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:39 pm 

Ina' macaroons

2 egg whites and a pinch of salt whipped to a slight foam
Add 14 ounces ( 1 bag of shredded coconut)
1 can of sweetened condensed milk ( it won't matter if it is a little less)

Mix all together and drop onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes ( golden brown). I turn cookie sheet half way through baking.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:34 pm 

Thai iced coffee. Pour a generous amount of the sweetened evaporated milk (1/4 cup or so) over ice cubes in a heat proof glass. Top with extra strong coffee. Stir and enjoy. But 7 layer bars sound good too. Or you can mix with a package of chocolate chips and some walnuts to make fudge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:22 pm 

These all sound good! I may do the macaroons since I have the ingredients, but will mark this for when I have extra cans of sweetened condensed milk...I always buy too many at Christmas and they linger in the cupboard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:55 pm 

Dulce de leche? Bake covered in a pan until it turns to caramel.