Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powdered Egg Whites...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:00 pm 

substituted for Meringue Powder in Italian Buttercream. Will this work? Would I add some Cream of Tartar? Would I reduce the amoung of the Egg Whites to compensate for the other ingredients in the Meringue Powder (Gums, Sugar etc.)?

Post subject: Re: Powdered Egg Whites...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:15 pm 

You need a hot (238 degree) sugar syrup to make Italian meringue, which I am assuming is the basis for the Italian buttercream. I've never seen meringue powder specified in an Italian meringue recipe, because using a hot syrup is the difference between a regular and Italian meringue. No powder will replicate that silken texture IMO. Can you provide the recipe?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:15 pm 

Sugar Syrup
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup water

Meringue
1/2 cup meringue powder
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar

Frosting
3 cups (6 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 to 3/4 cup vegetable shortening (optional)
1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons flavoring (see baker's hints)
Directions

1)For the syrup: Combine the sugar and water in a small, nonstick (preferable, if you have one) saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves. Cook, without stirring, until the syrup reaches at least 240°F. It can go as high as 248 to 250°F. Just be sure it's within those temperatures before you take it off the stove.

2) For the meringue: While the syrup is cooking, combine the meringue powder, water, and salt in the bowl of your mixer. Beat at high speed with the whisk attachment until the mixture first looks foamy, then turns white, and you begin to see tracks in the bowl. At this point, slowly sprinkle in the sugar with the mixer running. Increase the speed to high and beat until the mixture is stiff.

3) When the syrups gets above 240°F (110°C) and before it gets above 250°F (121°C), remove it from the heat and with the mixer running at low speed, pour it down the side of the mixing bowl(not on the whisk or beaters if you can avoid it; that will send the syrup flying and start spinning sugar threads instead of incorporating it). Once the syrup is all in, leave the mixer running until the mixture cools to 80°F. You can help this process along by wrapping an ice pack around the mixing bowl.

4) Once the meringue is cool, add the butter, a few pieces at a time, with the mixer running at medium to medium-high speed. The meringue will deflate a bit, and may begin to look curdled. Don't lose heart! This ugly "adolescent" stage is normal. Just keep the mixer running and adding the butter.

5) Soon the frosting will begin to bring itself together around the whisk, then in the rest of the bowl. Once most of the butter is in, add vanilla or your choice of flavorings. If you're using the frosting for decorations, add the vegetable shortening in chunks at this point.

6) Use the buttercream within 4 hours, or refrigerate until needed.

Last edited by talanhart on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 pm 

I have both meringue powder and dried egg whites because I love uncooked meringue and we cannot find pasteurized eggs here. I would take the risk, but not want to others to risk it. I don't see why this would not work. I would try the Italian Buttercream recipe as is. They do give you the conversion for using real egg whites. In case anyone wants to see the original with comments if can be found http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/italian-buttercream-recipe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:22 am 

I think I'm making a Mountain out of a Molehill here after reading the recipe again. I think I will just follow the directions using real egg whites and then use the equivalent of Powdered Egg Whites to make the meringue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:37 pm 

I would just substitute the powdered egg whites at the same amount.