Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walnut custed baked goat cheese
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:56 am 

A while back Chris and I had dinner at a bistro that served a goat cheese appetizer in a small cast iron pan. It was baked goat cheese (the kind rolled in ash) with a walnut crust on top. Served with a fruit compote and toasted baguettes. I'd like to duplicate it for a party today, but am wondering how to duplicate the crust. Normally if I'm doing goat cheese rounds for a salad I'll dip them in egg whites, then bread crumbs and then fry. Since the cheese in this dish was spread into the bottom of the pan and then crusted, I'm not sure if I can put the nuts right on top or I need a binder of some sort.

Thoughts? Google searches yield lots of recipe for individual rounds of goat cheese, but not what I'm looking for.

thanks

Post subject: Re: Walnut custed baked goat cheese
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Jean,

I don't know what the crust would be made up of. You'd almost certainly be cooking it in the broiler, though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:08 pm 

Jean
I make a pecan coated chive cream cheese ball and the pecans are toasted, then chopped and then put into a saucepan with butter, brown sugar and some spicy ingredients. You might try toasting the nuts, chopping them, then coating with melted butter and whatever ever else you want to coat them with....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 am 

thanks Fuzzy and Ilene. I will try those suggestions next time. This time I found a website with some rounds coated in nuts and herbs, so I ground the walnuts in my mini KA with some parsely, added Black and Red seasoning and salt (not enough of either though so it wasn't coming through darn it) and then cut the log lengthwise, rolled each half in evoo then the nut mix and baked at 350. Good although still way more cheesy than nutty. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'd like to up the nut ratio for next time. Served with a cherry compote (Bonne Maman from France, just discovered this brand and love it) and toasted baguette sliced on the bias. Looked lovely. It all went, so that's the best part.