Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Brine for Pork Belly
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:29 pm 

I smoked a pork belly and my wife didn't care for it initially. However, after it sat in the refrigerator overnight, she thought it improved substantially if she dipped each bite in a bit of soy sauce. Which rang a bell. Bill aka Wino talked about using soy sauce to brine turkey last year.

To quote:

wino wrote:
Further to the brining: I have had good/interesting results using Kikkoman Soy Sauce for brining. In Canada, in the 1.89 liter liter from Costco, it is 38% sodium so I have been diluting it with water at various concentrations: 1:1, 1:2, !:3, etc. I prefer a less salty brine and have been most pleased with 1:4 left overnight and then rinsed & dried before cooking. My next experiment will be to substitute my home-made chicken broth (no salt in it) for the water; however, this seems a little cannibalistic - - - :twisted: :lol: :!:

And I am thinking that something on this line would do for a pork shoulder or pork belly that I was going to smoke. There was a bit of discussion concerning the amount of salt content depending on the dilution of the soy sauce, but since I'm after taste, not math, I will likely follow Wino's suggestion of 1:4 for soy sauce to water ratio, maybe up to 1:3, but no more than that, because I respect his taste buds. 8-)

Since I am, by nature, lazy and the pork belly or shoulder is usually a bit thick, running 2 or 3 kilos, I will likely brine it overnight in the fridge, going for a 10 to 12 hour brine. So lower salt over a long period of time is less likely to end up as one of those fiasco's I occasionally indulge in.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

Post subject: Re: First Brine for Pork Belly
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:05 pm 

I would add that it is fairly important to rinse the meat before cooking as one cannot remove easily salt after the fact. I have even done the soya sauce brine straight, not diluted at all; just make sure to rinse.

N.B. to Frank: see, some of the people can be fooled some of the time :lol: :? :o :shock:

Post subject: Re: First Brine for Pork Belly
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:33 am 

wino wrote:

N.B. to Frank: see, some of the people can be fooled some of the time :lol: :? :o :shock:

What do you care about our politics? 8-)