Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gas Stove Newbie!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 pm 

Cannot add to the joys of cooking with gas....you will never go back.
Regarding boxes, try you closest liquor boxes...the ones here stack their boxes for folks who need them....and they are really sturdy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:49 pm 

Yup, I completely agree that cooking with a gas stove is a much better than electric albeit there is a learning curve. I learned to cook on electric too. Gas gives you much more leeway, depending of course on the types of burners you have. I have a 15 yr old stove and would love some of the updates others have talked about.
Nance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Re: boxes, I'll agree that U-Haul can be a good place to get boxes, but do NOT rent a moving truck from them. You can also try packaging/shipping stores, and try grocery/liquor/clothing stores you shop at regularly.

Re: gas stove: no preheating the burners, yaaay!. Also you can do woks and other weird cookware which doesn't make contact with the burner.

Gas ovens, on the other hand, are more of a tradeoff. A gas oven heats faster and is "dry", which is excellent for some things (pastry, pizza, broiling) but electric ovens which are slower to heat and "wet" are better for a lot of baking (cakes, bread).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 pm 

Amy wrote:
Congrats Becca!

When we moved to Colorado we bought all of our boxes from Uline. Even with shipping they were cheaper than U-Haul. I've bought boxes from U-Haul, and they're good, but compare their prices with someone like Uline.com.

You will love cooking with gas (pun intended) and you've already gotten the advice I'd give you.

I'd probably stay with Dish Network and go with Comcast hi-speed. Compare the mbps speeds of each service.

Amy

Uline is great, but check the shipping. It can vary wildly. It almost doubled when I moved across the state. They are a very nice company to work with, however.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:32 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
gas oven ... is "dry", ... electric ovens ..."wet"

Really?? :?:

I thought wet/dry was the other way around...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 am 

Yah, you would think with water being a by-product of combustion that a gas oven would be wet, and an electric oven would be dry due the 'dry' heat, but that reasoning ignores that gas ovens are vented and electric ones are not, and the venting loses more moisture then is added by the combustion, so it turns out that electric ovens actually have a more moist cooking environment (assuming what you are cooking has moisture, which is almost always the case).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 am 

I'm with Pete, I thought gas=wet and electric=dry. My electric oven is vented. My mom's old gas oven (1940s) is not vented (at least I don't think so). It bakes quite evenly, which I attribute to it being made out of generous quantities of iron and ceramic. (The downside is that it's very small.) My newer electric oven does OK, but the back is hotter than the front so everything needs to be turned. Perhaps one fine day I can score a beauty like Amy's.

Lo the many variables in baking...

Becca, I'm sure you will adapt quickly to the gas stove. I predict you will like it once that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:38 am 

I have a Gas Oven and when I open the door after preheating to put in whatever I am baking, it's almost like getting a steam bath.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:58 am 

Yah, talanhart, me too. I think it is because there is a *lot* of moisture generated during the preheat (continuous burn). However, once into the regular cooking cycle, my gas oven definitely seems drying them my electric oven was.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:45 pm 

I am wondering if I even need to pack everything in boxes. We only have to go about 8 miles and we will not be using a moving truck. I don't know...

I am very excited about the instant heating/cooling of the stovetop. That will be cool. I just hope it doesn't throw off my baking too much.

I am very curious how much gas bills run, but I assume those vary around the country?