Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Dutch Cocoa?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:58 pm 

I am thinking about purchasing Pernigotti Cocoa...it was rated the best cocoa according to CI...I currently use Callebaut and it's pretty good. Any opinions? Thanks!

Lu

Post subject: Re: Best Dutch Cocoa?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:33 pm 

I'd also like to hear everyone's reply. I had been using Penzey's cocoa but when I bought the last batch it was noticeably lighter in color than the previous one (I still had some left). I don't know if they switched suppliers or just formulas, but either way I was a little disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:21 pm 

I am not big on CI's rating of anything chocolate.

I use Valrhona's, and really like it.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:19 pm 

Hello everyone! It's my first post here, and this forum was recommended to me by Phoenix. I'm coming in from the dying-a-slow-death Cook's Illustrated Board.

Anyway, I finally found the most deliciously intense, deeply chocolatey Dutch Processed cocoa powder ever - it's El Rey. I discovered it last year, and have never looked back.
I like Callebaut and Droste, but am not wild about Penzey's, which I find too mild. I've also tried Pernigotti, and found that the strong scent promised more than the actual taste, which was on the mild side. After many cocoa taste tests, the El Rey won out by far - the chocolate depth and richness is amazing. Unfortunately, it's not widely available - I order it from Chocosphere, and it can also be ordered directly from the El Rey website.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 pm 

May I be the first to say "howdy" and welcome ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:26 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
May I be the first to say "howdy" and welcome ;)

Thanks, Frank!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 am 

Welcome merstar!!...many thanks to all for your input...decisions, decisions....

Lu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 am 

Lu1 wrote:
Welcome merstar!!...many thanks to all for your input...decisions, decisions....

Lu

Thanks for the welcome, Lu!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:58 pm 

Welcome Merstar!

I remember when I did that test of all those cocoas years ago. I can't find it on CI any longer, but I remember pretty well how the brands rated. Esp. the Valrhona, as it was dead last! Ever since that, I have been reluctant to buy Valrhona chocolate, despite the recommendations in many magazines and cookbooks.

Unfortunately, the one that came in first is no longer around - the Hershey's Silver. The Mercken's non-dutch, from KA, was also near the top, despite being the lightest in color, followed by Penzey's dutch (didn't test the plain at the time). Bensdorp, although it was my favorite for years, was in the middle, but the Valrhona almost had no chocolate flavor, even though it was VERY dark in color. I kept it for coloring rye bread, as I figured I didn't need the flavor that much there.

Has the flavor of Valrhona gotten that much better after all these years? Or was that just a glich? And did Penzey's really get that mild? I haven't used it for a couple of years. I just got a 1 kg bag of Callebaut, which is delicious; though not quite as potent as the Bensdorp I got this last fall for the holidays (this seems to have improved since the year I tested them), it seems more rounded, and would probably be good paired with the Bensdorp in a recipe, though I haven't tried any next to each other in a taste test this time.

BTW, Merstar, I still have not been able to break that 5 kg block of chocolate I got (even warming it slightly), though I don't think I would have any problem just eating 1/4 of it!

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:47 pm 

pepperhead212 wrote:
Welcome Merstar!

I remember when I did that test of all those cocoas years ago. I can't find it on CI any longer, but I remember pretty well how the brands rated. Esp. the Valrhona, as it was dead last! Ever since that, I have been reluctant to buy Valrhona chocolate, despite the recommendations in many magazines and cookbooks.

Unfortunately, the one that came in first is no longer around - the Hershey's Silver. The Mercken's non-dutch, from KA, was also near the top, despite being the lightest in color, followed by Penzey's dutch (didn't test the plain at the time). Bensdorp, although it was my favorite for years, was in the middle, but the Valrhona almost had no chocolate flavor, even though it was VERY dark in color. I kept it for coloring rye bread, as I figured I didn't need the flavor that much there.

Has the flavor of Valrhona gotten that much better after all these years? Or was that just a glich? And did Penzey's really get that mild? I haven't used it for a couple of years. I just got a 1 kg bag of Callebaut, which is delicious; though not quite as potent as the Bensdorp I got this last fall for the holidays (this seems to have improved since the year I tested them), it seems more rounded, and would probably be good paired with the Bensdorp in a recipe, though I haven't tried any next to each other in a taste test this time.

BTW, Merstar, I still have not been able to break that 5 kg block of chocolate I got (even warming it slightly), though I don't think I would have any problem just eating 1/4 of it!

Dave

Thanks for the welcome, Dave - it's great to be here!

About that 5 kg block of chocolate, it's time to break out the hammer and chisel. LOL!