Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: In a rut
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:18 pm 

I'm really bad at coming up with impressive dinner ideas, so I bet you can't wait to hear from me......but, how 'bout the CI Better Glazed Salmon, with the Potato Galette, roasted asparagus, and the Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake...

Keep it easy cuz, "that's no moon it's a space station"!!!!!
Hope it goes well for you.....Karen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:59 pm 

I just watch an episode of 5 Ingredient Fix on the Food Network and she did an easy Asian fusian dinner, which seemed to me to be very easy and definitely impressive. She steamed striped bass on a bed of lemon grass, ginger and lime and used unfiltered sake for the liquid. Then she made a buerre blanc with a reduced soy sauce base. Her side was rice infused with ginger, garlic and scallions and tossed with shelled edamame. She also did a martini with zuchinni water as the base liquid (it was a beautiful color)
If you go to www.foodnetwork.com and select 5 Ingredient Fix from the recipes on air, and search for striped bass, you can find her recipe. I would do it for you, if I knew how to post the link.

ilene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:07 pm 

Chicken canzanese is another thought but minor in response to the others. My main purpose for writing is also just to confirm Mary's comment about deep breathing and to trust yourself. You know your talents, I think you might be 2nd guessing yourself because you're also away from your comfort zone.
Keep us posted and know that you will get help, and jabs ;) , along the way.
Nance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:23 pm 

Given your location it would be pretty easy to wow them with booze before, during, and after... Hint: don't ignore these steps :o

You could start with an unexpected traditional American cocktail from the 50s, slip into some zinger appetizers with a local apperitif, marry the wine(s) with the main course (locale as yet to be determined), and kill with traditional cheeses and local wines as suggested by your local cheese monger. In essence, you would be covering a lot of the world in a short amount of time.

(It's 'Wino' for a reason) :!: :lol: :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:50 pm 

How about LME Mojitos with some of that buttery guac and LME Lettuce Boats.....followed by LME Grilled Lamb. That looked so good to me some time ago. Danes don't get very good beef, and New Yorkers love it, so an alternative would be some killer steaks, done correctly. Can you airlift them in :) ...call it a business expense ??

Honestly I would keep it simple with interesting drinks ;) Some of those things that you can do with flair and enjoyment and still talk and charm the socks off of them. Only you know what those things are.

How about a beautiful fruit pie for dessert with some local wines and cheeses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:30 pm 

Lou, it will be fine.....

My suggestion might be to read through some Laura Calder menus (here - http://www.foodnetwork.ca/ontv/shows/Fr ... eid=105739) since I love the way she puts French meals together with a NA twist.

Good luck!

p.s. knowing my temperment, I would not use the oven for anything based on what you said. I'd be too panicky. But that's just me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:38 am 

easy bake wrote:
How about LME Mojitos with some of that buttery guac and LME Lettuce Boats.....followed by LME Grilled Lamb.

What is LME? I even googled it, but I don't think it means London Metal Exchange or large marine ecosystem...I will probably be embarrassed that I can't figure it out, but I haven't had enough coffee yet to think clearly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:54 am 

It's from Lou's blog, Lou's Most Excellent. Check it out, those Lettuce Boats are beautiful and I'd like the lamb as a screen saver.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:10 am 

Thanks! I might be making those lettuce boats tonight for dinner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:48 am 

Oh God. I'm falling apart here. I'm paralyzed. I...I...I...I need to check myself in. Xanax and vodka, where are you?

T-minus 1 day and counting. Take me to a happy place, take me to a happy safe place....

I'm liking the ideas - formulating some kind of an amalgam of them all and thank you all.

(Amy - frizzy salad isn't boring. Esp. with a poached egg on top.)

...lou

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next