Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In a rut
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:46 pm 

I need help.

I'm in a rut. Haven't been in front of the stove much (travel, job) and I gotta cook a dinner this Sunday.

I have zero inspiration.

Some may call it depression (it isn't - I'm pretty sure of it) but I think it's just I need a good smack to get back in it.

The couple coming over on Sunday are of the hip-n-cool variety: I gotta do something neat. He's Danish and been living in France for 15 years, his partner is American and he's been here 5 years (native New Yorker). They put on a show for us a couple of months ago and me (and my wife's) big mouth boasted of past glory of foam amuse bouches, heavenly entrees, and orgasmic desserts.

And what to do is just not coming to me. I'm friggin' lost......

Did I mention that the American dude is my wife's boss too? Thus, I can't muck this up.

Help me, bb.fuzzychef.org, you're my only hope.

...lou

Post subject: Re: In a rut
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 pm 

What kind of kitchen equipment do you have? You know, a mandoline? a vegetable sheeter? an immersion circulator? ;) an iSi? Or, is it to be using traditional tools?

Amy

Oh, and P.S....you've needed help for a loooooong time...glad you're now just realizing it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:58 pm 

Of the top of my head, I'd go in the opposite direction of what they served you--something comfortable and home warming rather than fussy or precious. Country pate, even (dare I say this) roast chicken, that kind of thing. Also beef daube (beef stew), gumbo, bouillabaise (aka fish stew) .

Last edited by Lindsay on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm 

Amy wrote:
What kind of kitchen equipment do you have? You know, a mandoline? a vegetable sheeter? an immersion circulator? ;) an iSi? Or, is it to be using traditional tools?

Amy

Oh, and P.S....you've needed help for a loooooong time...glad you're now just realizing it. :mrgreen:

Ha ha.

I've got a PoS four burner gas stove with an oven that (believe it) you can't set the temp to but only control how often the heat turns on and off.

Lots of pans, a mandoline (c'mon...I'm in France), no veggie sheeter (WTF is that anyways?), have an immersion blender but no circulator, food processor, and access to just about every fresh ingredient (except hot peppers) available.

...lou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 pm 

Yeah, rub it in...I have access to pork, beef and um....that's about it.

What is fresh in your market right now?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:46 pm 

Okay, just free-form thoughts...

The freshest fish you've got done as a nori roll in a wasabi cream foam with whatever fish roe you have access to and is appropriate for the dish.

Wild boar carpaccio with shaved whatever works from a flavor profile standpoint at the local market.

Frisee salad with champagne vinaigrette, roquefort, lardons, apple and nuts. (Not inventive, but dang good.)

For the main, you could do something "two way," i.e., small portions of each (or some) aspect(s) of the meal in both an American and French fashion. For example, you could smoke some beef (American) and then serve it with some filet de boeuf with appropriate sauce (French) and then serve with (very) small amounts of appropriate veggies and starch. I can see the plate...you'd have to keep all portions really small for this to really work. Plating would be key. It could also be a good conversation starter.

First thoughts...

When's the dinner?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:55 pm 

Number one, take a deep breath. You are a good cook and will make a great meal.
I would look at what is fresh and then make something very American with it. What is normal to you will be exotic to the Dane and a treat for the American. How about a hot dip for a starter (crab, artichoke) or spiced nuts or an onion dip? Something Cajun with all that great seafood? Or a chicken pot pie with spring veggies? Can your oven make a cake? CI's strawberry cream cake has always done me well. If not I am sure it can make a biscuit and you can make strawberry short cake.
The possibilities are endless, and I think that is part of the problem. When I am stuck (every 2nd day) I try to pick just one thing and work around it. So you pick one thing and we will help you. No present your rear for a swift kick.

Mary

PS just saw Amy's post... love the idea of the two way theme. You could do that through the whole evening. How much time do you have (or want to have) to devote to cooking this meal?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:04 pm 

Lou, YOUR DOOMED!

Now, it can ony go up from here ol' buddy.

Listen to Mary...deep breaths, you will be just fine. Remember the difference between a good meal and a bad meal is about an hour. All else fails...get em drunk! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:18 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
Listen to Mary...deep breaths, you will be just fine. Remember the difference between a good meal and a bad meal is about an hour. All else fails...get em drunk! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great advice!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:16 pm 

What's the weather like? Hachis Parmentier on a cold rainy day is great. Asparagus for a starter, strawberries for dessert and finish with cheese and nuts. You know what wines go with everything.
fitzie