Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Food Safety Roulette - do you play it?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 am 

crystal wrote:
JesBelle wrote:
hehe I remember my grandma getting mad at me if I didn't wipe the sh*t off the eggs.

Heh, heh, heh. Jes, my dad has new girlfriend(only 2-3 yrs; duration, so far), brings eggs over(awhile back). They ARE clean! I look up, eyebrow cocked.....he looks at me, diverts. He must like her, lol. We swipe, but don't wash.

All, I've had one bout with true-blue FP. H was infant, I'm fairly sure Pizza Hut delivery. Totally on a childbirth scale. Wrought havoc for quite some time. Nuff said.

Ps like Trink, condiments, except for mayo and catsup(I like it cold)....pantry; I store eastern sauces like Dave.

Actually, thinking on Dave's post, .....restaurant food, eh?

On my grandparents' farm used to wipe off the big pieces of crap (usually straw encrusted), but never washed. The eggs for resale were kept out in the basement but when brought upstairs they went in the fridge. I think it was a space issue.

Crystal, Dave, my food poisoning situation (which ended in a 2-day hospital stay) was from a Hardee's burger. If that's anything resembling childbirth I'm glad I didn't have any kids. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:18 pm 

So, restaurants are a recurring theme here. Darcie, hands down, the same degree of pain, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:31 pm 

Look at the cases of food poisoning over the years from restaurants, and most of them are from fast food chains. (Yet another reason not to eat at them.)

We are hyper-focused on food safety at the restaurant. If we ever gave anyone FP, we'd probably never survive. I know many (if not most) fine dining restaurants feel the same way.

If we ever question the safety of a product, out it goes.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

Ethnic dives and anything with a steam table is also an effective way to get the lesser forms of food poisoning. Like, there's an otherwise excellent Russian deli in SF we've stopped going to after two rounds of FP. The first time could have been coincidence, but the second let us know it just wasn't safe.

One of the biggest issues with FP is that it can take 5-8 hours for onset of symptoms. So a lot of people assume it was their last meal that was contaminated, whereas it was actually the one before it. Or just stomach flu.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:46 pm 

Heh, when I went into labor, I thought "This is doable. It's like a really bad IBS attack." Then the bastards made me lie down. I was screaming for an epidural after the second contraction.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 am 

Oh, here's another one. Store bought bacon bits(ducking). Pantry storage after opening.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:36 pm 

Apparently just thinking about skirting the rules can make you sick. Lots of tummy rumbles last night, and a good part of the morning spent in the bathroom. Haven't even eaten the damn brisket yet (and can't think of anything I've eaten in the past 2 days that was even a bit sketchy).