Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Overrated ingredients
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
I actually like truffle oil. However, it's very volatile, and I think that most people may be using rancid truffle oil. I got a small bottle of black truffle oil from Far West Fungi and it was quite good on the things I've used it on. Kris, who hates mushrooms with a passion, will tolerate truffles.

That being said ... truffle-oil french fries at food carts in Portland? Yes, definitely over the top.

I also got some truffle oil I liked, and had the first bottle go bad on me - when I went to use it a couple months later, it was not at all the same thing! So next time I got some I preserved it, using an idea from my woodworking shop - Bloxygen - which is simply the inert gas Argon, which is "squirted" into a can of oil based finish, to prevent oxygen from contacting it, thus preventing curing. I figured this would help prevent oils from going rancid, as well, and maybe slow the flavor compounds from oxidizing, and it seems to have worked, as the truffle oil was as good as new (or close to it) after 4 months, though I haven't tried it any longer than that.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:32 am 
Site Admin

Dave,

Sure, some of the overpriced wine preservers work the same way ... argon gas or CO2 capsules. Probably cost 10X as much as Bloxygen too. Unfortunately, the argon gives the wine an odd taste, so it's not a net gain. Glad to hear it works better with oil ... or one can just refrigerate it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:52 pm 

Fish sauce. The first bottle I bought(okay, you couldn't buy in Podunk, so ordered) was hum... authentic. Gawwwwd. Smelled like ??? However, when I bought the pedestrian version, it was much better. Did I tell you I vac-sealed the original version and stored in a cabinet in the laundry room? Or that the bottle got knocked over and the seal broke. Uuber stink!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:08 pm 

Asafoetida -- It tastes great, but it can take over a kitchen with a smell like an armpit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:25 am 

Darcie wrote:
JesBelle wrote:
Pancetta, to me it tastes like bacon that's been hurked back up.

:lol: :lol:

I use bacon for just about any recipe that calls for pancetta. Most of the time I get a funky "locker room" aftertaste from it. Now prosciutto, OTOH...

Had to post this one for you Darcie:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/0 ... ml?ir=Food

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:00 pm 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:51 pm 

Ricotta! Hate Hate Hate it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:30 pm 

Ricotta? All kinds or just that supermarket crap? I buy a heavenly one from a local cheese maker but rarely since I can eat the whole tub on fresh bread in a sitting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 pm 

I was with you on the truffle oil, but then had some truffled mac-n-cheese, and I was converted over to the other side. :twisted: :lol: My problem originally was being too heavy-handed with the stuff. You just have to use a little, little bit. Tried some in my twice-baked potatoes, and they were delicious.

Now, if someone could get me to like foie gras, now that would be an achievement. :|

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:42 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Ricotta? All kinds or just that supermarket crap? I buy a heavenly one from a local cheese maker but rarely since I can eat the whole tub on fresh bread in a sitting.

All - I hate the sweet taste.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next