Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In defense of Sandra Lee.....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:59 pm 

On the OB, someone has started yet another thread about S. Lee. And yes, I know, it's OK to bash her here, but: like a lot of other successful women, Oprah, and Martha, she really seems to get a "whoopin." I have often said, yeah, she's not a great cook, but she did take what she's got and parlay it into something. I reserve the right to stayed pissed off over those curtain thingies. I have allergies. Do you know how much dust they could collect?
I guess it's just me. I like successful women and celebrate them. So......

would you believe Michael Ruhlman?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/searchS/?q=Michael+Ruhlman+on+Sandra+Lee

Post subject: Re: In defense of Sandra Lee.....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

KSS,

It's impossible for me to respect her after the Kwanzaa Cake. There's not knowing how to cook, and then there's being clearly blind and without taste buds.

Actually, put that way, she's doing very well for a disabled person. Go, Sandra!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:52 am 

Hey she is about to become New York's First Girlfriend (with benefits).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:59 am 

I was going to give the link to Huffington Post's article by Denise Vilvado, who actually was responsible for the the Kwanzaa cake, but it says that 'it violated their terms of service,' which is too bad, because it was a very funny article.

There is this one, however. (I just wish she would learn how to make lasagna...without cottage cheese or tomato soup.)http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2010-12-20-sandralee20_ST_N.htm

I wonder why SNL hasn't had a shot at her? Oh, well, she serves a purpose, even if it is to be a bad example.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:40 am 

Kae
It was that article (in Huff Post) that sealed the deal for me. I don't watch her because she really cannot teach me anything, but I have always thought that she served a purpose, particularly for those who are not interested in learning how to cook, but would like to do something other than order "take out". I have a niece who loves to eat, but has absolutely no interest in learning how to function in the kitchen. She, however, does like to entertain and SL's books are perfect for her.
When I read the article about the Kwanza Cake, I thought, I cannot even gift my niece with one of her books. Her insistance that everything be from a can or a box convinced me that she doesn't really want her audience to explore the art of cooking or learn anything beyond opening a can. I think the lady who uses 5 Ingredients or Less is a better role model for my niece.
ilene

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:11 am 

I agree, Ilene. That is what Michael Ruhlman says, awful as it is, it's a start, and eventually you'll want to do better. I just went through it with Social Services, and the adoption boxes. They had on their list stuff like hamburger helper, and jarred ragu. (I actually had the list to post, and it wiped out, so I couldn't be bothered to type it again,) but it was pretty horrific. When I called them on it, the deal is supposedly that the young people don't know how to cook, and are required to go through the cooperative extension to learn, but.....I don't think that happens.

That was one of several reasons why I asked for gparents raising gchildren. I figured someone my age could cook, and I put in rice, beans, broth, canned tomates, etc. along with basics; flour, sugar, salt, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, yeast, vinegar, spices, and other things.

But if there is already a generation of young people who don't cook, and have children, the kids will learn not to cook as well. Vicious cycle.

If they start with Sandra Lee or Rachel, it's better than the microwave or microphone. Sandra's pre-chopped, pre- made ingredients are too expensive for the needy, but if a young person can do it, and cook something, then I'll look the other way - because eventually, they'll want to do better. JMO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:52 am 
Site Admin

KSS,

I don't think I agree. The difference is: Sandra Lee's concoctions, in general, will taste awful. Many will be completely inedible.

The result of following Sandra's "recipes" will be that young people will be convinced that they can't cook, and will give up. This is true of many of the recent "dumbed-down" Food Network crop.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:15 pm 

Well, you might be right. I wish Home Ec was still taught in schools, mothers knew how to cook and taught their kids, and that there was a basic cooking show or book, but it probably wouldn't be all that "marketable." Sigh.

I would still rather see someone try, and maybe use some actual vegetables, pre-packaged though they might be, than not make any kind of effort, or worse, open a box. Of stuff that helps hamburger.

(Once I calm down, I'm going to start another thread about picky eaters.......)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Ilene,

We bought Donna Hay's "Entertaining" book for a friend of ours who prefers opening boxes to actual cooking. She loved it, and got a lot of use out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:11 pm 

I don't know about Home Ec, but there should be a Life Skills class -- basic cooking, home maintenance, cleaning, finance, car repair, and a nice healthy dose of critical thinking wouldn't go amiss, either.