Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guys Grocery Games
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:45 am 

I watched this last night just for something to watch. It reminded me of the game show that was on years ago where people had to race around a grocery store and fill up their carts, except this show has the contestants cooking after they shop. It was OK. Has anybody else watched this?

Post subject: Re: Guys Grocery Games
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 am 

I cannot watch Guy....doesn't matter what the show is, he just irritates me. But lots of people like him and hence the multiple of shows.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 am 

I tried and couldn't get thru a show. The old show you're referring to was called Supermarket Sweep. That one I loved, but I was about 9 y/o when it was on ;).
Nance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:22 pm 

I caught an episode. It wasn't as painful as the show hosted by Alton Brown where contestants use their money to buy handicaps for their fellow cooks during chopped-esque challenges. Like, $5000 to make them have only earwax flavoured jelly beans as seasoning, or $4000 to make someone use only a microwave to cook in. I miss the days of straight up cooking shows. Although on a side note, I think it's a wonder that Guy is still alive after eating all that greasy, nasty crap that he does in his diners, drive-ins and dives show. It almost seems to be geared to featuring the most saturated fat and salt possible on a single plate. Makes me quease just to watch it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 am 

As part of an ongoing battle with TWC and ESPN, my selection of cable channels has been reduced to 12 and facing a further reduction soon. I have been forced to find alternatives to the Food network.

Besides Streaming Netflix, we recently discovered Acorn TV. We have been watching vintage [1990's] cop show where Richard Griffiths plays a near-retirement aged DI who just happens to own a restaurant called Pie in the Sky. Maggie Steed co-stars.

For more traditional TV cooking shows, Create TV plays the PBS cooking, travel and home improvement library 24\7. Watch Julia, Sara, Ming, Bridget, Chris, Jacques, Lydia, Mary Ann, Martha, Joanne, Pati, Nick, John, and Christina cook the day away. This network is way too controversial for CATV and must be found with an OTA antenna and a digital tuner.