Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: American Baking Competition - CBS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 am 

The problem with TV cooking shows, as I have discovered, is that they don't really care how talented you are, it's how much of a "character" you will be. They look for personalities and drama far more than talent.

While I am prohibited from talking about the casting process for the show for which I applied, I will tell you that I definitely had one of the best, if not the best, plate in my group, but I didn't make the final cut.

Here is what I did for my plate: a dessert that played on the "chaud-froid." I had homemade puff pastry which I cut out to resemble old-time four-handle faucets. In the center of one "handle" I put the "chaud (hot)" pastry cream (jalapeno vanilla). In the center of the other was the "froid" lime-mint. I made white chocolate disks with dark chocolate C & F drawn on each to put atop each handle. I served this with pumpkin seed brittle and a smear of pomegranate sauce.

Some of the other dishes I saw: overcooked rolled flank steak with cheddar filling, another badly-executed steak dish from someone who graduated from culinary school (but who had a great single-mom storyline), a nondescript cake, someone's "Mom's apple pie," and a complete turkey dinner that was uniformly dull brown and cold (apparently few people realized that there were no facilities to keep things warm or cold).

It was fun trying out but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

My dish did earn praise from the judges (one of whom was a former Top Chef contestant) and even the production crew. However, didn't have either the right hard-luck story or whatever they were seeking.

Post subject: Re: American Baking Competition - CBS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 pm 

Darcie,
Your dish sounds amazing and above the skills of the others. So sad that the "story" beats good cooking. :x
Nancy