Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Downton Abbey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:33 pm 

Hi,

The PBS discussion/blog and IMDB plot summaries on Downton Abbey are well worth reading. PBS has an hilarious "rate the character every week" chart. It proves you can love a character for being a wonderful person and love another character for being such a fiendish villain.

Year one and year two also have incredible shifts of personalities. Next year will feature Shirley McLain as Grandma and other new challenges.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:21 am 

Tim,
Have you heard anything about some of the actors not coming back for the next season? A friend of mine read this somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:45 am 

I believe this is probably the best show on tv today. One of the few we watch while it is still taping. They are killing off one of the major characters, but have not said who it will be. Some pundits think it will be Maggie Smith as she is "difficult" and with Shirley McLaine coming they will have that generation.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:23 am 

Season 2 has aired here and we are anxiously awaiting season 3. No word about Maggie Smith leaving but I suppose it's a possibility. I'm looking forward to Shirley MacLaine as I think she's terrific and will be a good sparring partner for Maggie Smith.
fitzie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 am 

Only the addicted need to buy The World of Downton Abbey, but if your local library has a copy there are some good static shots of some of the cooking equipment and table services that are interesting.

As far as the show goes? Isobel becomes expendable when Matt and Mary start living under the same roof and the Dowager Countess has Shirley MacLaine to play with.

Maybe Cora will find out what a peach O'brien has been and will push her down the back stairs. Bates will witness the event and take the blame again out of some misplaced loyalty. Anna will be so PO'd that she will turn into a shrew that will make O'brien seem like MS nice guy.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:51 am 

Jim and others,

Please, please don't spoil it for those of us who haven't has the chance to watch Season 2 yet!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 am 

Hi,

I know nothing of season three but the PBS Blog is full of convoluted fantasies that Jim must be reading. If you do want to know some plot lines in advance, IMDB is the place to look.

I know the plot to "Pride and Prejudice" almost word for word but still enjoy watching the BBC version. It still brings tears to my eyes.

Tim

Last edited by Tim on Thu May 03, 2012 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 am 

I like the A&E version of "Pride and Prejudice" best -the one with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. Be still my beating heart!
fitzie

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 am 

I think I read or watch Pride and Prejudice at least once per year. My dad even gave me the annotated version.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:57 am 

Oh! and if you like Pride and Prejudice, you should definitely check out Bride and Prejudice. It's super fun. Cary and I watch the musical numbers. His favorite is "No Life Without Wife". Go figure. Darcy is not a Colin Firth level heart-throb, but Naveen Andrews sure is.

spoiler alert: People get married at the end.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next