Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer Womans TV Debut
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 pm 

Wow...Rhode Island is just under 777, 000 acres. The Drummonds land holdings are over half the size of Rhode Island.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:34 pm 

Gotta be a 'BIG' Bambi somewhere on all that...... :o :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:18 pm 

I don't care for her show or her food. I think she talks down to the audience. Mind you, I could only stand about 2/3 of one show. After the umpteenth mention of doing something before or after church I turned it off. I do give her credit for finding a niche and making money at it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 pm 

cmd2012 wrote:
I'm just jealous that they can eat all that food and stay slim and attractive. I'll admit it, I kinda want a Marlboro man too. Sadly, if I decided to quit my job, home school my cat, and blog about it, I'd end up institutionalized rather than on the food network.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:16 am 

I find her to be quite lovely and real. I enjoy watching her and that big extended family of in-laws and parents and kids.
What I see is a throwback to the old ranch life more successfully done.
These seem to me to be hardworking folk who are enjoying life.
Bravo.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:26 am 

Being one of the few people left in the world that doesn't have cable I don't get her show.
I did see her debut and had no issues with it. I expect that it's a clash of cultures for those who are turned off by her presentation.
I fear that often many are deceived that a drawl or Southern accent and ignorance are one in the same. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:07 am 

I'm in the camp of former fans -- I followed her blog avidly for a few years but then I just couldn't take any more of the musings about the ranch, the husband, his chaps and his butt, all the kids, the friends, etc. Plus the narration on so many blogs these days is so silly it makes me want to hurl. And hers is definitely one of the worst when it comes to that. Just give me the recipes! I can take a little bit of storytelling (like on Tracey's Culinary Adventures, Brown Eyed Baker), but so much of it elsewhere is seriously over-the-top.

But at the same time, I don't really get the "haters" in the food world who set up critical websites (like Rachel Ray Sucks, and there's probably multiple ones for PW). I really don't care for RR either and don't have any of her cookbooks (and like Frank, we don't have cable so thankfully I don't have to hear her scratchy voice when flipping channels). But I don't get why people enjoy publicly spewing such vitriol about successful celebrities just because they're lame or annoying. (Unless it all boils down to envy?)

Emilie

Edit: Not setting myself up as a saint by any means in that last paragraph -- I've been known to do some major eye rolling when it comes to Sandra Lee ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 am 

Well said Emilie.

I don't get the "haters" in general. Since when (yes, I know it's since the internet) is it okay to publicly shame, disparage or insult absolutely anyone and everyone. And, yes, I've said things online I shouldn't have. And, I've been victim to people doing it to me. None of it is right. I applaud all of you raising kids in this age...it's got to be hard.

Amy

Edited to add: Emilie you added your note while I was posting. I didn't think you were calling yourself a saint. And, interestingly, Sandra Lee was on the Today Show this morning. Not ONE thing using semi-made. Was a breath of fresh air from her.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:28 am 

I would have to agree with this theme - I followed PW avidly for awhile, but lost interest when she started posting as much about her book tours, etc. as the ranch, plus she became awfully repetitive. But I still occasionally go back though for the photography - some of it is to die for. But the idea that just because somebody posts a blog or otherwise makes themselves public allows others to be so disparaging and try to tear them down is to me so discouraging.

It's the way I'm feeling about football now - I used to love it (and not just because I'm a Pats fan - it goes way, way back to being raised by two parents who graduated from the Univ. of Nebraska in the 1930s so I was raised on it). But somehow the latest Miami Dolphin contretemps was the proverbial straw - after watching the violence and the injuries slowly get more celebrated than skill and athleticism, to realize fully that vitriolic bullying and bigotry can be accepted and defended as "bonding" or "team building" just got to me. I guess I was naive...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:16 am 

I never watch the FN...haven't for years, but after this thread felt obliged to look at the Direct TV guide, and lo and behold, she's on right now.

I just watched 15 minutes and had to turn the channel. The demonstrated "baking skills" were so far off, I couldn't watch.

Not trying to be mean, just calling it as I see it.

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next